Kamatanishiki true color please?

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I purchased this tree peony three years ago last summer. The picture then, and even now is some websites, show a lovely bluish blossom. And they are described as such. When mine bloomed it was a fushia color with lighter edges. Lovely with dark green leaves, but no where near blue. I looked at the pictures here on DG and while some are leaning in the direction, they are not blue or bluish either. So what gives? Is it a soil thing? Maybe has to do with the pH? I can adjust that if need be.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I checked different sites and came up with different colors. Some had a more golden center where others had a bright orange. Probably camera or scanning issues. This one was the best quality picture. The blossom is always described as 'wisteria blue with light edges'.

http://phillipoliver.blogspot.com/2009/04/tree-peony-kamatanishiki.html

Yeah. that is what I see also. Maybe since it was it's first year it will be different this year. i hear they can change color as they mature. That for the pic.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Some herbacious peonies can take several years before they reach their mature coloring. Maybe the tree peonies are the same.

I suspect you are correct. I will be interested to see any color variation this summer from last summer. Heaven knows I took enough pictures. Worse than a baby being born. But that is what it felt like. lol Thanks guys.

Smiths Grove, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo of my plant's bloom. The color in the photo is true to how it appeared in 'real life.' Some blooms can have slightly more of a lavender color to them, it varies from year to year. I have several tree peonies and this one is by far my favorite. :-)

Thumbnail by Dodsky

Thanks Dodsky. It is a lovely flower. This is a picture I took last year and it surely does not look like yours. It's pretty, but no what I expected. I also have Shin Shichifukujin and am beginning to wonder if I have them switched.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

mstella, are you sure you don't have Kamada Nishiki? Check this out: http://www.paeon.de/name/index_k.html

I have visited that site before and i agree. Mine looks nothing like theirs. Nor does my other tree. Not much I can do now. A little late to complain to the vendor after three or four years of waiting. They are both beautiful, flowers as well as foliage, and I never thought I would have my tree peonies bloom, so I am not going to complain. I will stick with Itoh's and herbaceous from now on. Quicker results. lol. thanks for the help.
Mary

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

For what it's worth, Mary, I think the color is terrific. It really glows against that background of darker leaves..
Jack

Yes, that is what I really like about the trees. The foliage is darker. I have some really splendid pictures of the other tree which is a darker rose color. But with like hilites in the petals. I am sure you have seen it in your flowers also. 3" dump of wet snow today. Oh. How are you doing with your weather. I read this morning that it was horrific today, or yesterday? Did it by pass you?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was lucky.. The storm knocked out power at my house only for a couple of minutes. It also blew some large branches out of my trees..

I have a friend who lives 5 miles east of me - a large tree fell across her daughter's car. The car was knocked so flat that all four tires blew out. They were still without power yesterday evening..

Glad you missed the worst of it. Your neighbor was fortunate as I read of a couple of deaths to people in cars that stuff fell on. Really bad in some areas.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

mstella, I spoke too soon.. Two trees fell at my rental house. One of them has a trunk close to three feet in diameter. It fell from the neighbor's yard into mine. It knocked the second tree down and destroyed the fences on both sides of the back yard. It bet it will cost $2K-3K to have the trees removed and fences repaired.. The good news is that no one got hurt and it didn't fall on the house.

You know, I'm not much of a drinker, but I feel like getting drunk..Boo Hoo...LOL

Would it be considered an act of God? Would the neighbor's home owners insurance cover the repairs? His tree was the proximate cause of your tree falling. On the other hand, would your insurance cover the repairs? Sometimes using insurance can backfire I suppose, as insurance companies have a way of raising premiums if you 'dare' to actually make a claim.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, this would be considered an act of God.. I am meeting with the insurance agent (to take pictures) in about 30 minutes. I don't think my neighbor's insurance will cover what fell in my yard. I'm not sure about that second tree, we'll see..

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

What a whopper!

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Fence damage on opposite side of yard.. The tree fell across fences bordering both sides..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Remains of second tree..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr

You were so lucky. I think I see another tree in the background near your house. If it had come down in the same direction as the others, it would have taken out your house. I guess you can always sell the firewood. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.