Ponderosa Lemon Sprouting from Graft

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

We had a hard freeze and my potted Ponderosa Lemon basically died. I was getting ready to throw it away today when I noticed some sprouts growing below the graft line. Should I keep it? What will it be?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the sprouts are from below the graft line they'll most likely be Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon', it's a very common rootstock. It produces bitter fruit that you wouldn't want to eat so I'd probably toss it if you're sure the part above the graft is dead. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31545/

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Down in the valley and South Texas the most popular rootstock is Sour Orange. About 80 percent Sour Orange to 20 percent Poncirus Trifoliata. If you bought it at Lowes or Home Depot, you probably have Sour Orange.

I think you can make a marmalade out of Sour Orange but it definitely isnt for fresh eating.

The Poncirus is only good for rootstock, thorny hedges and decoration.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that would be the case. I'll toss it if nothing grows from over the root stock.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You will most definitely not throw it out. You have a great opportunity. Find someone or a nursery that has your dream citrus and ask for a cutting. Message us back for instructions on how to graft it on to your rootstock. If you have multiple sprouts coming up, you can graft multiple varieties of citrus on one plant. You can have a Lemon, Navel Orange, Tangerine tree.

If you do get a cutting, keep it wrapped in a moist paper towel in a plastic bag until you are ready to graft it. You will need a grafting knife or utility "razor blade" knife and some medical tape.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.