SNAPPERS 2011 - whose here?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We came form here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074191/

All aboard!

Indoor bloomers.. um, I was wrong, these are more than a couple weeks old..!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice. Bloomers left over from last years plants? My tall snapdragon seedlings took forever to grow and bloom this winter for some odd reason. Normally its around 90-100 days. This fall/winter it was around 130 days. At least they're finally blooming and branching out. Still have a couple more months to enjoy them before the FL heat gets em.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually 2 years in the pot so some seed must have come! Its all I have right now! I hope I can do some more this year.. would love the tall stauly ones for cuttnig.. these here seem to get one bloom on their puny lil dwarf self! But I did enjoy them.. I think they were those $2 flat specials I got a deal on.. had to be.. !

Probably are self seeded ones Blossom. I do the tall "Rocket Series" Snapdragons every winter for cutting. Usually order specific colors and change them from year to year. This year I grew the crimson, white and lemon ones in one section. Also have another section of tall ones named "Plumblossom". Seeds came from Burpee. Here's a picture of some "Plumblossom" blooms out front.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Pretty blooms Jon. How tall are these? They look really tall for snaps.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you have to stake them?

I do stake all my tall snapdragons once when the first flower spike is forming. The first spike is always the tallest/largest because it's getting a high proportion of the plants energy. The plants then branch out better so you have more blooms, but they're a bit shorter because the plants energy is divided among more flowers. No additional staking is done or needed from this point on.

The "Plumblossom" Snaps are the tallest ones I've grown so far. The "Rocket Series" are usually around 3 feet and the "Plumblossom" is typically 3 1/2 - 4 feet. Here's a photo of some "Rocket White" Snapdragons this morning.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Those must be florist varieties.. usually the tall ones with lots of flowrs are typical florist use.

They usually stake them in greenhouses and make like a gride so that the flowers grow thruogh the grid. The gride is made of strings actually and not individual plants staked.

Actually the tall "Rocket Series" Snapdragons are a common tall variety. Many online retailers sell the seeds. The best way to get many bloom spikes on one plant is to keep cutting them as cut flowers. The more you cut the more branching out each plant does. They hold up quite well to wind all on their own. Each plant had a stake applied for the initial bloom, which is always the tallest. The rest of the blooms are unstaked and sway back and forth in the breeze without breaking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.