Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate culture

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Can anyone tell me what depth to plant this seed and what ph the plant prefers?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I only grew this plant once, and didn't do anything special for it at all. I started the seeds in a 4" pot and only buried them about an inch and they grew fine. Didn't do any special soil treatment either, so as long as you have decent soil, it should grow fine.

HOWEVER: The seeds I got had been "chilled" for a couple months in someone's refrigerator before I got them. I don't know if this is a "must" or not. Mine reseeded itself without any further chilling, so who knows ? Being that you're in NC, you may not need to pre-chill them.

Someone else who grows these may have better info. for you...just giving you my experience with them.

Thanks, JasperDale. I had them in the refrigerator all winter and planted the seeds in small pots and put them in my tiny greenhouse yesterday. It looks like a jungle in there because of so many brugs rooted and growing. I wish the local gaarden centers carried thigs like heliotrope, stock, Love in a Mist, etc.

Athens, PA

Woodspirit -

I wish the local nurseries carried things such as the heliotrope and love in a mist as you had mentioned.

What I am wondering - how long from seed to bloom for both the heliotrope and the love in a mist? I have not started mine yet, which is why I am wondering.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My local garden center carries Heliotrope, but it's like 4.50 a pot. I sow heliotrope every year. I have mine planted, and the seeds have just barely sprouted. So, I think I would go ahead and sow the heliotrope. It does not do well W.S. I surface sow the seed under lights. It works well for me that way. I started my Heliotrope February 26th.
For me, Love in a Mist is almost a 'weed'. It re-seeds like crazy. It sprouts early. Therefore, I think you could sow the Love in a Mist outside, because it re-seeds so easily, and it comes up so early here (Zone 6). I have plants about 3" across but only about 2" high. Love in a Mist is easy to pull out, so I wouldn't call it aggressive just very prolific.

Athens, PA

perhaps I will. I sowed coleus and a few that take awhile to go from seed to flower......

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

You may want to sow some outside and some inside.
Edited to explain that "some" is the Nigella.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2011 9:57 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I had ordered some seeds this year and wintersowed them. It is still really cold, below average, so I think the will do ok.

My heliotrope has been planted inside for some time and one seems to be germinating. I still have enought seed to plant outside but they are slow and our last frost is about May 10.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't think direct sowing the heliotrope will do well. May is when you should be planting the plants outside.

well, it doesn't look like they are going to germinate well. I've had them in the soil nearly a month.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Temps for Heliotrope germination are 70 to 85*. Germination could be between 6 to 30 days. If you planted your Heliotrope in the garden, I would do a back up under lights just in case the ones outside don't germinate. I have good luck putting this plant under lights--lightly cover the seeds. I have not been successful Winter Sowing these little seeds, but good success under lights.

I actually sewed and kept the heliotrope inside, close to a window. Stll no luck. All I can do is try again.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit: Okay, seeds need some light/darkness, moisture and the correct temperature. Which of these do you think is missing? For heliotrope temps need to be between 70 and 85*. Have you misted the surface of the soil? Maybe that would help. Maybe it's the seed? Sometimes it's just hard to get it all right. Also, it seems the more one fusses about a seed, the harder it is to get it to germinate. :(
Do you think you may have planted the seed too deeply? If you have seed left, you might try sprinkling a little vermiculite over the top instead of soil and wet the vermiculite with a spray bottle of water or water and a tiny bit of miracle grow. My heliotrope is about two inches from a florescent light.
Just some ideas to think about. I hope you get some germination soon.

thanks. you know, if you don't suceed, try, try aga......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.