CLOSED: Needed: Swamp Milkweed

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone.

My swamp milkweed did not set seeds last year and I need to start some for a new butterfly garden on municipal land. Does anyone have a few to spare for postage?

I didn't collect seed last year at all, so have really nothing to trade. boo!

thanks

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Grumble.... I gave all mine away. I have tons of the MW's growing though. [so i didnt collect much, but traded it all away]

I have one baggie marked NoID Dark Pink MW... i think they are Swamp. I got them from Lea... i'll ask her if she thinks if they are Swamp or not.

Oh that would be great.

That's exactly why I didn't collect much seed last year, I'm kind of full up at home! But my swamp didn't set seed, rats. Don't know why.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I"ll let ya know as soon as i hear from her. she's not on much anymore. Life does get in the way of our computer time....

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I have asclepias tuberosa, interested?

Thanks kobwebz, but I have plenty of that seed still from 2009. I am going to need the swamp milkweed for a wet area.

I have plenty of Swamp milkweed seeds. See photo to be sure that is what you are looking for.

Thumbnail by

yep, that's it. Your timing is perfect because I just found a bag of what I think is SMW, but they are probably 2 years old. Can you tell me if they are really BIG seeds, as compared to other milkweeds?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think they are bigger than the "Tropicals" -- but i do know that the "Common" MW has large seeds too.

I still never heard from Lea.... i'm starting to worry about her since she's never away this long.
And I would have hated to send you all those seeds only to find out they are not "swamp".

Yah, I gotcha. I'm sure nothing will go to waste though. I have both dry and wet areas to plant.

I sowed some of those big seeds last night. I know they can't be tropical because they have silk and pods still in the bag. and I did not collect seeds off of tropical from 2 years ago. So the only other thing could be the a. tuberosa, Gay Butterflies. But I suspect those are the same size as the native a. tuberosa.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yanno, my A. encarnata does great in arid conditions. I was surprised since they are called "Swamp". but they flourish. I have them in both zone4 and zone5.

If you want them... I can send some... i have a BUNCH.

I think that's what we're talking about, right, Asclepias incarnata, Swamp milkweed?

I'm confused. I thought you were waiting to hear from Lea. Well, yes, I would love a few seeds from either of you of the Swamp Milkweed because I'm not sure if mine are viable, OR swamp. Mine does well in normal conditions too.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes... i'll pop some in the mail tomorrow. the reason i was waiting to hear from Lea was... the seeds she gave me are labeled "Dark Pink NoID Milkweed"

the description screams A. incarnata ... but i wanted to make sure.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Just heard from Lea... she thinks they are red prairie milk weed, A. sullivantii

thankfully Blomma has some 'swamp' though. they are just so pretty. guess next year i will save more seeds.

yah, okay. i'll take the prairie too! Thanks, I'll send you some postage. How tall did they get and did they have these kinds of leaves?

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/pr_milkweedx.htm

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yeah -- that is the same site i pulled up. I'm going to clear an area in the field that is filled with common MW and try them there.

dont sweat the postage. I'll get them in tomorrows mail.

Great, thanks.

Mrs_Ed: The prairie milk weed, A. sullivantii I believe isn't the swamp milkweed and does not grow in damp places as well as the swamp weed A, incarnata.

Below is a photo of my plant in the garden. Let me know how many seeds you need since I have an abundant harvest of them last year.

Edited to add that the flower buds haven't opened yet.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 10:46 PM

Thumbnail by

Seeds of the A. incarnata are not tiny but not large. They are enclosed in a dry sheet, which makes them look larger.

Thanks blomma. If they are large, then I think I have found my 2-year old swamp milkweed seeds from my plant. But would love to get maybe a dozen more from you for safety.

Thanks to both of you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.