Spring Roundup?

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I just moved here last month and am already getting itchy for warmer weather and playing with plants. Are there any roundups planned for the Columbia area? If not, I'd love to organize one if there is interest.

Kim

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

None planned yet so go ahead and start organizing!! I'll help as needed.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds great! I'll post this over on the roundup forum too. Does anyone have recommendations for dates or places?

Kim

Last year we were planning on meeting in Columbia. Normally we end up meeting in the Kansas City or Sedalia area but decided to try and be more accessible to people in other parts of the state. Where ever we have the RU it needs to be easy to get to from either I-70 or 50 hwy or another major highway.

Dates; best time for Spring, weather wise. is usually May or June. After that it gets too hot and no one wants to travel to a RU unless it's totally air conditioned with all the bells and whistles. LOL. Late April can sometimes be good too.

I'm in charge of the greenhouse at my job from either March or April into the beginning of June so I may not be able to get away but will try.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info. Perhaps it is too early to be asking about this? There doesn't seem to be much interest right now. In order to find a place, I need to have an idea of how many people to expect. However, right now you are the only one who has responded. Hmmm....

Kim

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I would love to come, with me it needs to be the last of April. Will try to help too. Try posting on other forum too. ie, Plant trading, seed trading. perennials, etc. Some people can't frequent the net as much during the week, because of work.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

The date would make a difference, my spring is really scheduled. Columbia would be great for me.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sure, I'd come if I can get a ride and if I have that day off work, I'd help with gas. Otherwise, I can't afford to drive my truck alone, it uses oil too. Roundups are a great time, visiting and stuff!
Will

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok....sounds like we have some interest. How about suggestions for dates? It sounds like late April-early May is best. We will want to avoid Mother's day probably and Easter (April 24 and May 8). That leaves us the weekends of April 16-17, April 30-May 1, and May 14-15. Will any of those days work for people?

Also, I just found out that I have to move again....after I just got moved in. The people who own the property decided to not let me renew because they need it for family. I was very upset by this because they had said that I could when I signed the lease (it's a partial and I was going to then renew in May, about all that was available when moving in the middle of January) I just got settled...but such is life. I may have to move though sometime in April or May, so I will keep that in the back of my head as well.

:) Kim

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear that kim. May 14-15 is out for me. I like April 30 - May 1.

I can certainly try any of those days mentioned.

Sorry that you have to move again. But at least the selections will be better then!!

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

That's true...but I have a large dog and it is very hard to find a place that will take him and not charge a fortune for it. My budget is tight as it is, and now I have to somehow find the money for another set of deposits. Not sure what to do about it yet.

April 30 or May 1 sounds good to me as well. When I get some time I'll take a look and see what venues might be available to us around here.

Kim

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Right now April 30/May 1 are open for me unless church declares that planting day, since I'm the head gardener I kinda have to be there. :D

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Sounds good, don't know that early how many plants I will be able to bring to trade. Up here especially the last few years things are breaking ground as early as they use to.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm in any weekend but whenever Midwest Equine fair is in Madison, WI. Think it's April 14-16. I've never been to a RU either so eager to come. Can we bring younger gardeners too (over age 10)? My kids are getting pretty good and a few have the gardening addiction as bad as I do:) They're geeks enough to enjoy it too LOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Bring them, I love working with kids around plants. They usually get as excited as I do.

Kids are always welcome!! Pets too if we are at a park or if the host allows them.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I promise I won't bring the horses. Maybe the dogs or the cats, oh! I know, I'll bring Lucy my Road Island Red.

Bring the horses!! You know me and horses!! LOL!! I used to have Rhode Island Red chickens. They were gorgeous til we found out we had 3 roosters and they tore the feathers off the hens. LOL.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am currently looking for some possible venues. However work also got busy this week, go figure. I will try to have some options to report on next week.

:) Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.