jatropha podagrica is waking up

Yardley, PA

Just found a cute, tiny leaf on my J. podagrica. Actually, a number of my plants are starting to wake up.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

Sally I went and took a close look at mine and it too has formed a green nubbin. So I splashed a little water on it.
Helen

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yeah...that's wonderful!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sallyand Helen, how is this jatropha podagrica doing? Is it developing new leaves? Mine died late last summer.

Decatur, GA

Mine has a nice blossom, which came up first, and now leaves are growing. I will try and get a picture posted this weekend.
:-( sorry yours died Nancy.
Helen

Yardley, PA

Mine is all leafed out now. I have a huge one a few years ago and it died that is why I bought a new one. I will probably put this right into the garden for the summer. I did that with the last one and the growth was amazing.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I seem to remember yours bloomed last year too Helen. That's great.
Sally, the leaves on yours look so healthy and dark green.
I might try another one once again.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Mine made it through the winter of woes here.
I ignore all my plants in the winter, its my break.
I have 2 Buddah belly plants and both have made it and shall recieve a reward of vitamin b and some good wakey nutrients then bloom booster.
Im excited! They were both trades :)

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

I think mine is winding down now as we go towards winter.

Thumbnail by Little_things

Q: I let my A. glauca grow this year - if you look closely at both plants, they got damaged with the move. Now do I cut the adenia back or put it in a ring??

close-up of the base

Yardley, PA

It is amazing Little Things that the Jatropha knows the difference between winter and summer. It is obviously not just built it as it is a summer grower in the Northern and Southern
Hemispheres.

Decatur, GA

Here is a not very good picture of my J. podagrica. But it give you an idea of my plant's waking up.
Helen

Decatur, GA

Here is the picture.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

I have another one about the same size which isn't showing any arousal signs. Same with my little volunteer from last year.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

Nice Helen, the other one looks fine, maybe just late - we do not all get out of bed at the same time!LOL!

Decatur, GA

Little_things, with regard to the adenia I wouldn't cut the stem off. I always let my die back naturally. I use to stake up the vines but now, as you say, I just circle them around onto itself.
Helen

Yardley, PA

With mine I usually just undo a coat hanger and make a hoop for the vine. Your plants look great Little things, especially if they just went through a move.
Helen, my Jatropha was under lights and watered all winter. That is probably why it woke up early. Your caudex looks healthy.

Thanks guys for the input, nice to have some feedback and help on decisions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.