Living in USA

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Several different tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, watermelon, cantalope, lettuce mix, and a variety of herbs. :-) Every year I plan to try growing something new to add to the mix. But right now I am still trying to figure out how to grow the above successfully.

Veggies are a lot different here to grow than flowers. The bugs give me a run for my money! LOL!

Gautier, MS

I already sowed snow peas, cucumbers and spinach, I'm trying these for the first time. I hope I succeed with these, won't try tomatoes which had major white flies several years ago.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from MGJapan :
Hey have yall notice the price of gas and food going up? I'm thinking about growing some veggies this year too. I like tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, greens and a few others. The only problem is I don't have the growing space available like I did in Japan. But I have family that does so I'll have to work something out with them. The good thing about being here at Dave's is the tons of information available. I did grow my own tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and cucumbers in Japan so I do have some knowledge growing those plays. Houston weather is almost the same except for the humidity. Should be fun adventure anyway :)
3.49 a gallon of 87 gas here.

Debra - I think it's about the same here now, too! I've heard it may be $4 per gallon by the end of March. Ugh.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Yep our gas is getting more expensive too 135 yen per liter yesterday! That works out about the same as yours.
Time I bought a bike I think. I have a very small car just 660 cc does about 60 mpg so no big deal for me.

(Zone 7a)

Adding my Urk! to the gas situation and all it implies.

A - adding congratulations for your studio - looks like wonderful possibilities harboring in its future for you :)

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks Karenblue, I am so anxious for them to finish... today they started to put the first layer to stucco... the winds here have been so bad the past three days that they didn't do much work there. I'm anxious to grow some mgs in there too..

The gas has gone up here also, 3.50 here too, it will probably go up to 4.00 soon.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

it cost me almost $50 to fill my van up the other day!

I hear ya, Nicole! Ridiculous, isn't it?!!!

I've read that gas shortages alone could cause another recession. Let's hope that doesn't happen! All the more reason to grow some of your own food. Veggie seeds and plants are in very big supply and demand here in my area right now. I can't believe how many rows of veggie starter plants there are at HD now! Unbelievable! But ... kinda cool, too! My dad would've loved to see that. He came from a farming family and had it in his blood. I think he passed some of those genes on to me! :-) I love gardening and trying my hand at just about anything worth growing! :-)

szarvas, Hungary

Jon, not a bike but a horse or a donkey! lol
If I put the gas to U.S. mesures in Japan costs: 7,17 USD / gallon.
In Europe prices are even higher:
From $ 8,23 to $ 10,93 a gallon.
Oh my god, we need donkey !

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I wish I had room for a donkey LOL!

Actually, for Xmas I asked for a bicycle. I'm waiting for warmer weather to purchase one. I'm not a cold weather girl.

I like the bike idea, too! :-) I live close enough to my job that I could ride a bike to and from work. Shopping is also near me, but I buy groceries once a month, so would need a very large wagon attached to a bike to be able to do my food shopping! LOL!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I am so glad you are living in the USA now.

Well, I've seen pple put a milk crate on the back of their bike to hold stuff. I live less than 5 miles from grocery stores and shopping ctr. My kids and I are going to try to ride bike to the pool this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.