snapdragon culture

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I know snapdragons can take a lot of cool weather like panses. But will the seed sprout in colder weather?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit: Snapdragons are one of my very favorite flowers. Germination temps need to be about 75*. I WS snapdragons every year. I am growing them under lights as well as outside 'cause I like them so well. They need light to germinate. I have notice some sellers recommend refrigerating the seeds two days before sowing. I am experimenting this year with this method. I have no sprouts yet.

Mine came in package with seed imbedded in a "blanket." I could see the seed through them. They were to be cut up and laid on top of the soil. Nothing yet. I don't trust those seed tapes and blankets much.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

It will probably germinate--I think the soil is just not warm enough yet.

They're in my greenhouse but I keep it cool. So I will wait and see. What does it mean when you say you "WS" snapdragons?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry. WS means Winter Sow. I did some Snaps today Deno method.. I don't seem to ever have enough Snaps. Lowes had Snaps for 1.98 for a six pack today.

LOL now I don't know what the Deno method means. Thanks for you patience.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Deno means using a coffee filter or paper towel, wetting it, and putting the seed on the filter/towel and putting it in a baggie to sprout. It's also called the baggie method. Questions are always good!

ah, I have heard of this but never knew it's name. I will try that. What do I have to lose?
Love your attitude; now I don't feel like a pest.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Gardeners are always ready to share ideas and talk about what they know.
Keep me posted on how your seeds turn out.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I grow the taller varieties of Snapdragons every year from seed. I've found a higher germination rate from refrigerating the seed. For that reason all seed packs immediately go into a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. Even with 2 year old refrigerated snapdragon seeds the germination has been good.

In South Florida we start the seeds very early in the fall outside. It's too hot earlier than that to start them outside. I will start them a little early inside the house to get a jump start. This is going to sound weird, but I start mine inside the house under a low hanging kitchen light or table lamp. I'l leave it on for about 14 hours a day. The seeds are surface sewn and bottom watered for a minute or two in a large plastic pot saucer (picture below). Remove the containers, empty out the excess water and put the containers under the light in something that won't mess up the tables (you can even use the plastic saucer you just watered them in). All the containers will have germination in 7-10 days. You don't want to keep them under this "fake" light source for too long. I've had no problems keeping them there for a week or two after germination and then getting them outside into some real sunlight. Usually I acclimate them in half day sun for a few days before full sun outside. I'm sure this process can be used, and will work, if you want to give them a jump start in the spring.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jon for the info. I had refrigerated my snap seeds for at least two days before I sowed them. I like the idea of the lights and water. It makes good sense to me. Ya know, you just have to think like a seed!! :)
Now, pray tell, how do you start Agastache and Penstemon seeds??

I did decide to purchase a small florescent light this winter, so now I use that. Before purchasing the light all seeds, regardless of what they were, were started inside the house if it was still too hot to start them outside. It didn't matter if it was a surface sewn seed or a seed that needed to be covered. Germination on everything worked out fine. I don't recall trying anything that didn't work The bottom watering of seeds was mostly intended for surface sewn seeds, but I now use it for everything. Surface sewn seeds, like snapdragons, are not disturbed and/or moved when using bottom watering. It gives them a chance to germinate and establish their initial roots without being moved/disturbed by overhead watering.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Jon, do you need to "re-refrigerate" the seeds each yea?. I usually have more seeds than I need for a given summer to plant outside. I store the seeds, in a cool dry place, then do you refrigerate each spring before sowing? OR, refrigerate once and they are good to go. They probably need that "cool" interaction ea season of planting. It probably gets the seed all excited to germinate. Real unscientific descriptions here!

There are just a few types of flower seeds I refrigerate in ziploc bags from the time I receive them until the time I plant them. They go into the refrigerator and stay there until I plant them, whether its one week, one month, one year or longer. Most seeds I store unrefrigerated. Seeds I refrigerate are: snapdragons, rudbeckia, echinacea, poppies, pansies, daylilies. At some point in time I recall reading something about refrigeration of these types...so that's why I refrigerate them. I do notice higher germination rates with these types of flowers if I refrigerate them.

my heliotrope were planted about a month ago, but only one showed that it might come up and then it disappeared. I would give anything to get this annual going as I want to use it at our little museum.....

It can't be too late to try it again, can it be. Had lots of things fail for me, but persistence sometimes pays off.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks again for the info-Jon. My snaps from Winter Sowing have germinated. Surely it won't be long now. I plant to refrigerated the rest of the seed. Temps here today are 70 and windy.

Your seedlings grow quite fast up there since they are growing as the daylight hours lengthen. They take quite a bit longer down here. We grow them during the shorter days of winter. I've trained myself to immediately put the seeds in the fridge. That way I know exactly where they are and they are they're "ready to go".

Picked these tall seed grown snaps the other day. Consists of "Rocket Red", "Rocket White" and "Plumblossom". Generally grow only the tall ones, because I like those best for bouquets.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Amorecuore, Beautiful picture! I love snaps too, have 3 types growing now. My plum blossom are 3" high. I started them traditionally, had poor germination, but eventually got 18 seedlings. Next time I'll try Deno, learned about it on DG after starting the snaps. That's worked really well with Lupiines, sweet peas, nicotiana Sylvestris, dianthus arctic fire so far, others pending. it's all about learning, right? And the rewards are gorgeous!

Pam

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have the plum blossom but not the rockets. Gorgeous. I just want to go out to my little tiny sprouts and say "Grow darn it--Grow!" It gets hot here quickly and I would like for the little guys to bloom for awhile before the heat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.