Best time to visit

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi, I'm a visitor to your forum.

I'm a regular over on the Ohio River Valley chats. I am recently retired (Yah!!!) and I have always wanted to visit Savannah and Charleston in the Spring when the shrubs and flowers are in bloom. I need to know when is the best time to come down there? We can pick up and go anytime , now that we are both retired, and will be coming south to see some sites. Also is there there some special gardens or arboretums to visit while we are there? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! I'm soo loooking forward to spring!~ It is rainy and cold here today. I hope we don't get any more snow! I'm totally over the snow. Thanks, Lou

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Poor thing what with that weather. We have had T-shirt days this week.

Savannah and Charleston are so beautiful all Spring and Summer but you probably would not be happy with the humidity later on in summer. If you are planning to come via Atlanta, our botanical garden is beautiful. We have the largest conservatory for species orchids in the country and the tropicals are incredible. I can actually say this having grown up in S. FL.. Very impressive. Hopefully the coastal folks can point you to sights there. The old plantation tours like Magnolia plantation http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/ are lovely and just walking the streets of old Savannah and Charleston is an experience.

Lebanon, GA

Come in March/April when the azaleas are in bloom. Just south of ATL is a place called Callaway Gardens (http://callawaygardens.com) a reclaimed cotton plantation. No fancy antebellum houses, but lots of beautiful nature walks, a butterfly house, and planting ideas.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info!! These are just the suggestions I was wanting. I will have to develope an itenery to take in Atlanta!!! Lou

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, Callaway is wonderful!!!
Also, come to Macon to the Cherry Blossom Festival. Mar. 17th--the 24th, I think.
There is a balloon glow on the 18th.

Cherry Blossom.com is site, I think

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Atlanta Botanical Garden
and Callaway Gardens

An added plug here...the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is in the middle of it's annual Orchid Daze event. The gardens are starting to pop. The Atlanta Orchid Society will be holding it's annual show and vendor sale Friday the 11th through Sunday the 13th http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org/ Ya'll come see us now. We are here in N. GA at Maypop this weekend and it's been T-shirt weather all day. We've started planting the Spring garden.

Dispatcher, you need to come thaw out!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Yes your weather sounds very welcoming. We have rain and cold winds today. Thanks for the link. Lou

Lou if you go to Callaway I can arrange to meet you there and Goober and I will walk the gardens with you!! Callaway is only 30 minutes from our house!!!

Ohh, I have a Goober too!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Don't we all ?

Dahlonega, GA

Mike ! You may have a new nickname . lol

Here is my Goober guarding Maypop garden. Granted, maybe not quite as cute as Mike...

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Dahlonega, GA

Your garden is really growing Laurel . So inviting

Sally, the photo was from last June. I'm not THAT good! That was then, this is now...

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Still it looks very promosing.I planted too early, and I get to do it again.I plan to devote my day to fridy, now watch things break loose. pesamistic Mike

Dahlonega, GA

O K , I was looking at the date on it . Didn't realize it was the posting date , not the date pic was taken . Duh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.