Newbie here-how to care for Hydrangea( late Winter)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I am new to Hydrangeas and moved into a house with many of them. I don't know their name but I would say they are the typical blue flower type from most garden centers. It looks as though they were cut back last year. I did not cut them back this year and it looks as though the buds are swelling. Should I let it go or cut it back?

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

The only time to cut a Hydrangea without losing flowers is right after they flower. That's true of any flowering shrub or perennial. Unless they're really in the way, let them go until after they flower, then go ahead and cut back.

So they will still flower? I was worried I wouldn't get any this year because I waited so long.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, they will still flower. They don't necessarily need to be cut back every year--I don't prune mine at all unless they're getting overgrown. But if you do want to prune, you need to do it right after flowering.

Well that makes it easier! I thought I had to cut it back every year like the previous owner did. They are huge! Do you think they will flower more since I didn't cut it back this year?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't expect them to flower more unless they were pruned at the wrong time last year and lost some flowers as a result.

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Hydrangeas don't have branches like, say, a forsythia. The branches of a hydrangea tend to come from the base of the plant. To keep them tidy looking, give them a good pruning every couple of years after the flowers have gone. Don't wait more than a couple weeks after the flowers go, because the flowers for next year are on the new growth (this is true for every flowering shrub....get out there and do it!!). If you wait too long you'll be cutting off next year's flowers. Having said that, hydrangea's are pretty forgiving, so if you mess up one year, or they're really just too big and you feel you need to really cut them back, afterwards leave them alone for a year and you'll have new flowers the second year.

Should I top dress with compost manure late/winter/spring?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Compost is always a good investment.

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Compost is a lovely thing. It keep moisture in and helps feed the plant (and the worms!). As for other amendments, like lime or wood ash, do a little more research. I think hydrangeas like their soil to be a little on the acid side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.