Need Shrub Ideas - For Foundation Planting

Madison, MS(Zone 8a)

Greetings, from central Mississippi!

Has anybody come across shrubs with these characteristics?

Evergreen
Not prickly
2-5 feet high and wide at maturity
Sun and wind tolerant
Pest-free
Rarely needs pruning
Deer resistant

These will be foundation plantings on the front of the house which faces South. There is a very low window on one side and a high window
on the other side (but we want the feel to be balanced). We are looking for shrubs to go in front of these windows AND different shrubs to line the front porch (which receives even more sun and wind).

I used 4' Buddleia 'Purple Emperor' there for several years (five plants on either side) and they were gorgeous but half of them have been blown over several times and the ones on the right (east) have not thrived at all. The Butterfly Bushes are semi-evergreen here and begin blooming in May. If I knew how to get them to thrive, they'd be a top choice.

Deer go after Yews, Arborvitae attract Bagworms, 'Carissa' Holly is prickly, and we are already using Boxwood 'Harlandi' nearby.

Thanks for sharing from your experience!!

Thumbnail by adbjwb
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Very few plants are pest free! The only ones that I can almost guarantee are pest free...plastic or silk ;o) How about a Purple Diamond or Emerald Snow Loropetalum? Nandina? Gardenia? In the Southern Living Garden Book, there is a section in the front called pest free, easy to grow, or something like that, which may be able to help you.

Good Luck!

Madison, MS(Zone 8a)

Duckmother,
Thanks for the excellent ideas! I think the Loropetalums will work and am trying to locate some in this area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.