Best Variegated Hydrangea?

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Hello! Does anyone have a variegated hydrangea that they would recommend? I am seeing a few different cultivars on the internet and Dave's garden, and I just wondered if there was one that had more white or kept its variegation through the summer better, etc. I have a great spot for one on the east side of our garden shed. Found another cultivar this morning called 'Eryn's Variegated' on Girard Nurseries' website. Logee's has 'Variegated Bigleaf Hydrangea', and Lazy S Nursery has 'Mariesii Variegated', just to name a few. I only have room for one, so I sure would like some help picking it out! =)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have one but it came without identification from a friend. I'll be watching the thread to see what others have.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I like my 'Mariesii' very much. The variegation on it is quite distinct.

Doug

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

H.Mariesii vareigata has always been a great preformer in my yard. Only other var. hydrangea I've tried is Lemon Wave and it's rather picky and slow growing.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Super! That is what I was looking for - distinct variegation and a great performer. I'll have to order a Mariesii. If someone later raves about a different cultivar, I may just have to find another spot for a hydrangea. I'm a sucker for variegated plants.

Temperance, MI

I have been looking for the best variegated hydrangea and found one called "Eryn Variegated" offered by Girard Nursery. This plant is apparently new this year. I have not grown variegated hydrangeas and wondered if anyone has information on this plant.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

It is too early to be in wide spread use since, as you said, it just came out in 2011. One odd thing that I noticed was its winter hardiness zones; from Z5 to 7. The other variegateds start at 8 or 9. Maybe Stropkey Nurseries knows (they introduced it) but they are hard to find in cyberspace. Maybe limited to Ohio & nearby states for now.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2011 11:38 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.