Cinnamon tree, Cinnamomum zeylanicum

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

My friend is planting one of these on her land near Uxmal. We don't know any more than we have read about them so I'm wondering if anyone here grows them. I've read that they can be in full or partial sun, well drained soil and not to over water. That last is a concern because in the rainy season we get the tropical downpours that can drop a lot of water in a short time. The drainage is good, basically we're on a limestone shelf, and she can place it in either full sun or surrounded by other, taller trees.

I'd love some real experiences and any suggestions. It's in a pot now and since I've read that it doesn't like it's roots disturbed we don't want to plant it until we know exactly where to put it.

Keaau, HI

Not sure how hot and dry it may be in your area, but in windward Hawai'i, Cinnamon trees need to be in full sun to do well.

In leeward Hawai'i, Cinnamon trees need some shade.

Water does not seem to be a concern as long as there is good drainage.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Thank you Metrosideros. It took us a bit to figure out if we equate more to windward or leeward on an island but I think we've got it. We're not like either really but we have higher humidity, a heavy rainy season and lots of watering in the dry season - more like the windward side except for a few months in the spring. So, we're putting it in full sun but closer to some tall trees to the south of it, it will get a little shade from late afternoon sun. Good drainage and on the irrigation lines in the winter. I hope it does well there. I love the smell of the leaves when you crush them in your hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.