dahlia with sprouts..already

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

What do I do with a dahlia that has little sprouts on it already? I checked them yesterday and only one is sprouting. Do I leave it alone? Do I plant it in a pot? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Erin

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Me too. And I have nowhere to put them.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

mine are in a tote of saw dust in the cellar. Its about 50-55 down there. lol. I don't know what to do? pot them up?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1071090/

I hope this helps with all your questions.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I was gonna send you a d-mail pirl! lol. Thanks for chiming in.

Erin

My mind went blank with the first question but I clicked "watch" in the hopes it would jog my brain but that didn't happen until tonight and the idea of checking old threads and doing a search. The search didn't work as well as just checking threads from last year at this time.

When mine sprout early, sometimes before I even get to them to see they've sprouted, I let them grow but Poochella has said in the past that if they grow one sprout they will grow more. Still I don't have the courage to just cut it off.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I tried to search for it too but couldn't find anything . I was thinking of you though. I did look on Swan Island Dahlias website and saw a picture of how to cut the tubers also. So , in the spring I will try that. I didn't have the guts to try it in the fall. I have one of the large clumps with one sprout and a small clump with like 5-10 sprouts. lol. I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone for the input. I read the URL and decided to 1) pitch the rotten ones, 2) just put them back in a small cardboard box in the garage. I will check on them every week or so to be sure they don't dessicate. More concerned about rot though.

Last year I think I dried them longer in the garage. I also filled a bag with a anti-fungal and shook them in it like coating chicken, then wrapped in saran. It worked great, plus if any rotted (which few if any did), they other tubers are protected. they hardly dessicated at all.

the local greenhouse said it was time to pot up my begonia now so I have done that. Usually don't start this stuff till the middle of April as snow isn't all gone til the end of April, and can't plant til June. You guys have it nice. Thanks bunches again.

It was a difficult search, which is why I resorted to spending the time finding similar issues last year, Erin. I had typed in "early dahlia sprouting" but didn't get anything of value.

mstella - definitely ditch the rotten ones or it could spread. Anti-fungal powder is good! If you ever run out spray with Lysol and allow them to dry before proceeding.

Just today I found one begonia that grew without help from me and it's 6" tall. Another has the tiniest possible start of a stem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.