Gold Star Juniper

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm hoping someone can give me some knowledgable or personal info on Juniperus Gold Star.
Every description I read says it gets 3-4' tall. But in every picture I see of it it looks like it's only 1.5-2'.
I need to know so I can place it correctly. I have ten smalll plants of it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm finding all the images you probably looked at around the web, of relatively young plants.

Conard-Pyle's website shows a mature mass, but nothing to really provide good scale. Looks like it could be four feet tall. It also looks like every mass planting of 'Gold Coast' I've seen over the last 25 years.

Are yours really smalll?

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Yep, they're basically rooted cuttings I got off Ebay.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

This is Minnesota, mind you, not TN:

I had Gold Star at my parents when I was a kid, growing on a south facing, gravel hill. In 15 years, it never superceded 2 feet. It is relatively slow growing compared to other junipers of the same class.

Rick

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Leftwood. That's good enough for me. I will consider it a two-footer for all practical purposes.

Danville, IN

Michael Dirr says that 'Gold Star' grows to 4' tall with a 6' spread. He's usually reliable. I'm not sure when it was introduced by Conard-Pyle, but it's possible, with so many "gold" cultivars, it gets confused with other, even lower-growing cultivars. (???)

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I just hope I don't have to get rid of them someday if they start swallowing other plants. :-P I do plan to give them more room than I had considered.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.