Fertilize Trees & Shrubs

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Could someone point me in the direction of a good guide for fertilizing Trees and Shrubs. I was doing research regarding fertilizing Dogwoods and what I discovered was : 1. not fertilize at all to 2. Fertilize at a certain time. This is confusing. I would like a straight no nonsense answer as to how to take care of the shrubs and trees I have in my yard.
I have those tree and shrub spikes that I am ready to put around them, but after researching, I'm unsure what to do.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Your local County Extension agent would be my first suggestion.

Doug

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The first thing that any gardener should do to understand their growing conditions is to have a soil test done for their property. This can be accomplishing efficiently and affordably through the local Cooperative Extension Service. The extension service office will have the forms and instructions for how to collect soil samples. This information is probably online as well, if one was to look for it.

Once you have that much base information on what the composition of your soil is, then you can make a good decision on the what/when/where of fertilization. It typically involves the primary elements of plant nutrition - nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N - P - K).

OR: you can do what a lot of gardeners do, which is put fertilizer on stuff. Many times, that doesn't hurt anything and makes the gardener feel like they've "done something". Sometimes, it can kill plants. Often, it is a waste of time/money.

That method a bit of an emotional approach to gardening, but so be it. It is up to the individual as to how they wish to proceed.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey VV what's up? Ready for that walk in the parks next week? Monday is a holiday for me and I'll be in Louisville on Friday for a Dr appt at 10:45 with the rest fo the day off.

Doug

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had this done once when we first moved here. It took them forever to get the results. My soil test showed the soil is akaline. I know Dogwoods like acidic soil. I will try to contact my Co. Extension Agent (who is never in the office) as to when and how much to fertilize.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Alkaline or acid (descriptions of pH) is just one measure of soil conditions. That really doesn't tell you anything about nitrogen, phosphorus, or potassium levels - which are the normal/typical fertilizer ingredients.

Speed at which government institutions operate certainly vary, but are not always a good measure of their value or quality. I'd venture that submitting soil samples during prime time (like, now) means that one gets to wait in line, like Christmas shopping at the mall. Back in December, you'd probably have been at the front of the Extension Service line - no waiting.

If you get to chat with your Extension staff, have your previous soil sample analysis handy - they'll surely ask you about it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, your right about the N. K and P. Soil is kind of yucky in December and it's yucky now too--it's mud!

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

I had a soil test done on my yard. On the form, they asked what plants I currently have and what I want to have. They gave the soil analysis and recomendations on how to best remedy the soil. Well worth the 7 dollars they charge (plus $5 to ship it to Auburn).

The pH is 5.4 and is very low in nitrogen, medium low in potassium, medium low in magnesium, and medium high in calcium.

They also told me the best time ferilize, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.