A Loss of Shade

Starkville, MS

After many years of enjoying a large semi-shady area of growing hydrangeas, I am about to have a change of scenery. The 45 year old sweet gum tree providing the west shade is doubtful to return to life this spring. On the east side I have 5 healthy pine trees providing some morning protection------------but, the west Mississippi afternoon sun will be a killer this summer. A couple of years ago I planted two skinny little 6 foot tall trees behind the sweet gum-------but, of course, they are years away from being any help. Also, on the west side I have a massive eleagnus hedge about 12 feet tall. I am thinking of letting the long branches of this remain uncut and hope they will reach across the area to a small fringe tree and banana shrub to perhaps provide a little shade. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any structure that I might come up with? Also, under this sweet gum is a 15 year old needle leaf Japanese Maple----which is exquisite-----but, will die in the west sun!! Help!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Oh no! That's a serious problem.

Until you can come up with a better solution would you consider a portable umbrella like outdoor seating and/or dining areas use?

Ask the folks on the JM Forum for help as well. Seems it will have to be moved.

Starkville, MS

Pirl---what is the JM Forum? By the way, I guess I didn't mention that I have over 75 hydrangeas being shaded by this tree-------------no way to move them------and I would need lots and lots of umbrellas. Please keep thinking----

Shirleyd

JM = Japanese Maple.

With over 75 hydrangeas I can only imagine you'll be buying a few established trees to be planted by the nursery in order to provide you with the shade you'll need.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you can put up some sort of temporary structure that you can stretch shade cloth over that might work too. I see that done all the time at nurseries where they'll put up shade cloth over the areas with shade-loving plants to protect them from the sun.

Starkville, MS

Due to the small area available for planting an established tree, I may have to try the shade cloth approach to a part of the garden. Next week, I will discuss this with some nursery people------------since, I am 79 and have only 1 garden helper.

Thanks for suggestions,
Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I had a similar problem wioth a maple tree and ended moving the part shade plants elsewhere but in your case, that is not going to work. Instead, I would touch base with a landscape company and see if they can put shade cloth for you. I have seen it used in the back of some house but your covered area sounds like more than one person should try to do.

Starkville, MS

It may be the first done in the small town of Starkville------but, I have to try something. Perhaps Miss. State University will have a suggestion also.

Shirleyd

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am having the same problem. I have lost some trees that gave mine shade. I will have to move them this year. They got so burned up last year with the sun and dried out so fast.

I had our guy, Neri, move a few big old ones to give them more shade. That was mighty hard work.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.