Fertilizing Bearded Iris

Pleasant Grove, UT

Tell me about your regiment for fertilizing the various classes of bearded iris. I realize that because our seasons differ that dates will also. Different soil types will also make a difference in what do you do such as alkaline or acid soil. Here the common wisdom is to use something like 5 10 5. How often? A web site from California says 10 10 10 . Any comments?

South Hamilton, MA

As low nitrogen as you can get. We ferilize in the spring before bloom & once sometime after bloom.

Lebanon, OR

In Oregon we do the first one in March if the weather allows us to do it

D

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Per Schreiners Iris Gardens: One month before bloom season, while the tulips are blooming, apply a low-nitrogen, well-balanced fertilizer, such as 5-10-10 or 6-10-10. Keep the fertilizer several inches away from the rhizomes. In late September, fertilize again with bone meal. I think I have been using a 10-10-10, so I guess I better change that this year.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

I typically fertilize early in March (~6 weeks before first bloom) using either 6-24-24 or 0-45-0 and sprinkle a small amount of alfalfa meal around each clump at the same time.
Dennis

what is the alfalfa meal for?

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Minor elements.

Pleasant Grove, UT

I use alfalfa pellets that I get at a local feed store. They are used to feed rabbits and horses. Important to know that they are just alfalfa....no additions. Rose growers are high on alfalfa. We had a regional iris meeting yesterday with a visiting speaker who said she prepares alfalfa tea to feed her iris. As I remember she uses 5 gallons of water, several cups of alfalfa pellets, 21/2 TBS. of Miracle Grow, and the same of Epsom Salts. She lets if ferment for 3 days, stirs well, and puts two cups around each clump before and right after bloom. It doesn't smell very pleasant. I prepared two beds last fall and tilled in compost, leaves, alfalfa pellets and a little fertilizer. Will plant this summer. You can also just sprinkle pellets around the plant and let the weather break them down. As alfalfa disintigrates it yields an alcohol [protein?] called triacontanol which plants love. Google in alfalfa pellets to improve soil and there will be lots of info. Sorry for such a long answer.

Oh. I wonder if that provides some of what azomite does. that is what I put on my peonies, azaleas, and rhodys. Supposed to provide all kinds of trace minerals they need.

Gainesville, TX

I fertilized yesterday in all my beds with a granular 9-23-30.......the farmers call it a winterizer, but it is the lowest nitrogen I could find with a higher root and bulb feeder

Gainesville, TX

I am in alkaline very sandy soils with no natural nutrients...zone 7a. any type of fertilizing quickly leaches thru the so call soils. I use a lot of compost around the clumps. I have used alfalfa teas around but not directly on the rhizs. I have found when I just sprinkle the pellets around it encourages rabbits, I am in the country in a wooded tall grass area. I will add epsom salt to the tea mix this year, can't hurt. It is just really a lot of trouble to treat as large an area as I have by hand. I try to keep 5 gallon buckets around with started mixtures but if you don't use them up in 3 or 4 days they can really get stinky

Corrales, NM

For some reason, I have not been able to find a fertilizer, with a low nitrogen content. I do have a super phosphate that I bought last year
with the recommendation of the nursery. Any suggestion on this?? I also have bone meal. I would like to put it out soon before the winds
start. My soil is very sandy, so nutrients do not last long.

I was looking for a high phosphate (middle number, right) fertilizer. Was told it was really good for feeding the tubers and roots. Couldn't find any. it is a 0-30-0. My daughter just laughed and said it wasn't fertilizer, just buy phosphorus.

Gainesville, TX

I buy mine at a co-op...buying pure phousporus is just to expensive in quantity, and works better if scracthed into the soil

Pleasant Grove, UT

I'm using one I bought at Home Depot that is 5 8 7 and contains alfalfa meal. Knew a lady here who used super phosphate some years ago. Everything in her garden were tall, even Queen of Hearts and Dazzling Gold which were always short in my garden. Another friend grew wonderful iris which he replanted every year. He used no commercial fertilizer but worked well aged cow manure and his lawn clippings into his paths and then planted the iris there the following year. He did eventually have a problem and a soil test showed a build up of animal salts from the manure.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I fertilized yesterday, right before the rains came. Good timing. LOL

I used a fertilizer I bought at a farmers supply store. It was 0-25-25. Can't remember the brand name right now. Problem is ... the wild onions love it just as much as the Iris.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.