Eurphorbia bupluerifolia

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I just repotted this euphorbia and uncovered a small pup which was previously below the soil. I suspected something was going on down there when a three small flowers shot up from below the soil.

This has been one of the lowest maintenance succulents I've owned. While I shelter my caudiciforms from the rain in winter and other succulents from the sun in late summer, this old gal just takes it all. Cold and wet in winter, hot and dry in summer, water in summer, dry in winter, you name it. It even blooms year round.

I recommend this plant for anyone who wants an easycare caudiciform.

Thumbnail by zone10
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Same plant four months ago. You can see the flowers growing from the pup beneath the soil line.

Thumbnail by zone10
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Previous photo was a little blurry. Here's a better shot.

Thumbnail by zone10
Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

I just got one a week ago and liked it so much I got another and sent it to my dad!

Yardley, PA

I have had mine for a number of years and it will grow quite tall.

Thumbnail by Sally0
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Nice plant Sally. I was tempted to repot mine in S/H, but since it was doing so well, I decided not to change anything.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I like that last shot of the sprouts popping up. Flowers look female, no? These plants are too cool.

Here's my baby plant flowering in January. (Guess who hasn't been rotating the plants lately.) The flowers went through green, yellow, and eventually pink/orange before fading maybe a week ago.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

In a previous thread, I learned there are "boy" plants and "girl" plants. Subtle differences but flowering isn't a determining feature since they both produce flowers. I guess if you get fruit, you know you have a girl.

Nice plant Baja!

Rian, your dad will surely love his new plant. Does he also collect succulents?

I'm relatively new at sexing flowers (now doesn't that sound strange), but I think my plant is a boy and yours is a girl.

Here's how I understand it to work. The girl parts come out of the center with a clean 3-way symmetry. The way they look gets exaggerated when fruits emerge from underneath. The boy parts come out more from the edges with more extra parts. But you're right, when you get fruit, you know your plant is a girl. (Mine didn't make fruit, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything black and white.)

Since I keep sending him plants - he is forced to. LOL! Its actually my way of keeping in contact with him, show and tell (and send). He needs things to keep him busy - just at their age he and my mom forget or double water - lol. I just spoke to him and he is very impressed with the Euphorbia's - I sent an obesa as well and adeniums, tylecodon and mesembs, crassula, dioscorea! He learned me the love plants (bonsai) and aloe (he did collect) and cacti, now I am showing him all the other lovely succulents.

Baja - maybe you and zone should meet went they both have flowers and leave them in a room for a while! LOL

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 9:16 PM

Can't forget to leave a bee in there while they get to know each other!

I suspect that my E. bupleurifolia is the father of the fruit emerging on my E. pubiglans... which should make them extra super cool. Maybe I'll do another run of seed collection and germination to see what comes out of that. It could also be any number of other less "cool" Euphorbias instead.

Here's said pregnant plant, which was flowering about a foot away from the pineapple Euphorbia.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Just got into planting seeds. Hmmmm....may have to try cross pollinating now?!

Decatur, GA

Little things, what a nice way to 'stay in touch' with your father.
Helen
PS. I love the plants everyone has.

Thanks Helen - whats nice about it - made me feel good - is yesterday, he had a friend over and from what my mother says they were all over the new plants and dad explained everything to this guy who was open-mouthed. That means he is very proud of his new crop and he must have felt good to have someone over to tell all he's learned. Great! I even have a smile writing this.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

What a great story Rian. How nice that you have a common interest with your dad!

Decatur, GA

My mother is 93 and in assissted living. I have been taking care of her plants for a long time. They are always a good point of interest for us when I see her each week. They also brings us a lot pleasure when something blooms or is growing well.
Helen

Hoffman Estates, IL

all these pictures look like pineapples

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.