Is my Crape Myrtle coming back?

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Last year I started removing tree stakes from my trees which were planted 4 to 5 years ago. They are mostly doing OK even when we get 30 mph winds.

One Crape Myrtle didn't do so well. It's a Crape Myrtle 'Osage'. After one stronger than average windstorm, I went out to survey the results. It was doubled over like a candy cane! I didn't know trees could do that. I might expect it to go over or break but this was limp. I put a tree stake back in and straightened it up then strapped it.

What do you think? Will it come back?

Danville, IN

I wouldn't be surprised if it energetically sprouted from the roots if for some reason the top dies.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

If it was reasonably established, it will likely resprout from the roots.
For years, I cut all my crepe myrtles to the ground every year in late winter.
(Because they were supposedly only root hardy in my climate).
They reliably resprouted with vigor.

Then, I guess with global warming, I realized they are basically fully hardy here,
so I quit cutting them back each year.
Mine are now ~12 ft tall and doing fine.

Danville, IN

Here in Central Indiana, we NEVER used to be able to grow crepe myrtles. Now, with the warming climate, they are root hardy along with lots of other previously-non hardy plants like nandina, blue atlas cedar, loblolly pines and more that now seem to be fully hardy! What's next... palms in Peoria?

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Here in Northern California, global waming has caused my Oleanders, Star Jasmine, Lantana, Lily of the Nile, and Myoporum to suffer from winter frost.

Let me see now, global warming causes freezing conditions. Hmmm. Don't rush me, I'm thinking!

Danville, IN

From what I've read, global warming / climate change results in gradual changes in climate, especially regarding precipitation and temperatures. Along with a gradual warming trend worldwide, normally wet areas will get wetter, normally dry areas dryer, with the temperate areas pretty much staying the same, except for weather extremes. Keeping in mind that climate is different from weather, it seems that climate conditions are changing (melting polar ice, generally warmer temperatures, etc.), along with weather extremes (unusual freezes, heat waves, droughts, etc.).

I guess only time will tell!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

HoosierGreen is right - the more correct terminology to use is climate change to describe the man-made effects that are affecting the climate more so than if nature was left to her own devices.

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Climate change. What climate change? It's actually gotten colder in the past ten years. There's more CO coming from cows than human devices.

Danville, IN

Except that there were more native bison on the prairies 100 years ago than there are feedlot cows today. Time will tell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.