coreopsis Sweet Dreams

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Do any of you have experience with this beautiful plant? Bluestone perennials has the plants but I was looking for seed. Or does anyone have a trade?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had it 1 year. It was floppy and sparce small blooms.
You cant always trust the poctures on the web.
Many coriopses are not long lived.
Just me but I was disapointed in it here.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I tried growing it one year and it didn't bloom very well and never came back up the following year. Probably something I did and not the plant's fault, but I've had no trouble with other Coreopsis. It won't come true from seed, so if you find someone offering seeds be aware that they may not look anything like the parent plant. It's also patented so you're not supposed to propagate it from cuttings, so if you want the plant your best bet would be buying the plants from Bluestone.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I doubt its your fault. I had the suspition a few others gave it a bad rap.
Here is what PF has to say 6 positives 2 negs and a few neutrals.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32247/

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 10:05 AM

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I had Sweet Dreams and Limerock Ruby and just had no luck with either one - neither one wanted to grow and bloom for me. They had hardly any blooms and just seemed blah - and that's the best description I can give it. lol

Now...give me Zagreb, Moonbeam or any of the yellows and they seem to grow like gangbusters here. It's a shame, too, because I really wanted the pinks.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like the threadleafed ones. Zagreb is wonderful.
I also have Autumn Blush and Sunshine Superman. all return and do well.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My Sweet Dreams died.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I feel better now that it wasn't my brown thumb that was the problem! I have a bunch of Moonbeams and have never had problems with them, and got a couple Red Shift last year and they're doing fine too.

Danville, IN

I think they're rushing too many plants to market commercially before they have been thoroughly field tested. Trying to make a buck too quickly. Most all of the newer coreopsis (except for the yellow ones) have proven to be difficult to grow and not hardy.

I cannot discern why some of you have good luck and others bad luck. What ph does Sweet Dreams prefer?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hoosiergreen: rushing product to market is whats wrong with all the stuff in our landfills.

Danville, IN

woodspirit1: Rereading the posts, I don't think anyone on this thread has had any luck with 'Sweet Dreams', although better luck with regular yellow cultivars.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I stopped frustrating myself years ago. If a plant I want doesnt work here I just move on to other choices. I did have the SweetDreams nicely color paired with DL's.
The DL's are still there but coriopsis isnt.

I need to remember to NOT frustrate myself, too. It's just fun to try new flowers. Like I am drooling over the rose, "Dick Clark."

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have large gardens but no room for anymore plants. My wish list will never end so when a plant doesnt work I just put in another one.

exactly!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Same here--I'm usually not that upset when something dies because I've usually got at least 10 plants on my deck waiting in line for me to find a spot to plant them. Only time I'm upset over losing something is if it's a large well established tree/shrub or something that was rare and I paid a lot of $$ for.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I wish I had the bucks from orders that were horrible and plants died. American Meadows sent dead plants. I only order bulbs from them.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

If you have an endless supply of money I guess you can just replace whatever doesn't make it. I know for me I am sometimes disappointed because I badly wanted to grow a plant that won't live. but other times I am sick because something died that I paid good money for and I can't afford to replace it.
I have this coreopsis also and it doesn't do well at all for me. It comes back every year but it never gets bigger than a sprig. It doesn't seem to spread at all and I think it is even smaller than when I bought it. I purchased mine at Lowes.
I have a Moonbeam c and it spreads and grows very well and I even gave a piece to my mom last summer and pulled some up and tossed it!

Central , AR(Zone 7b)

I planted Heaven's Gate coreopsis 3 years ago, it's a nice pink. It does tend to get a little floppy, but is gorgeous in bloom. Planted in full sun with sandy soil. You might want to give it a try.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Sienna Sunset. It makes a nice mound of flowers and flops at the end of the season.
Its not pink of course,sometimes I will give up a color if the plant wont behave.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is Autumn Blush ,this spreads by self sowing.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.