HELP! Tree Growing Around Hose Wire Tie

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Today we were gardening and my husband thought that it was time to remove the lodge pole from our Michelia Champaca tree. The tree height is approximately 18 to 20 feet and the diameter of the trunk where the hose wire tie has embedded itself is approximately 6" to 7".

You can see how the tree has grown over the hose and there is a portion of the wire left inside the hose. Our concern is that the tree may be damaged if the hose is left in place.

Our thought was to chip the bark around the hose and then remove it - then we could seal the bark in that area.

Are there any other suggestions you can provide?

I am including photos.

Thumbnail by happy_girl
Danville, IN

If the hose/wire is encircling the whole trunk, you will do more damage chipping away the bark to remove it now. First, I would see if you can pull the hose/wire out just by grabbing on the part sticking out (using pliers for a firm grip) and peel/pull it away from the trunk. Looks like the other trunk has the same situation. You can see that the tree is trying to grow around the hose/wire with those swollen growths. The growths will eventually grow together around the hose/wire and enable the tree to survive the trauma. Remember that the actual live part of the tree bark is only a few cell layers thick (phloem and xylem layers... remember high school biology?). If they are cut through around most of the tree trunk, the tree is toast. Most likely, since the tree is still alive, those living layers are just behind the hose/wire. If you can gently pull/peel the hose/wire away from the trunks (kinda like opening the safety seal ring on a bottle or milk jug), you will allow the tree to revert to normal growth. The latest research says to NOT seal the wound with anything at all, which would hinder healing naturally.

I had to do this to six trees that I happened upon at a fast food place a few years back. The original staking systems had never been removed and the trees (red maples and hawthorns) looked exactly like your situation. When I alerted the store manager and showed him the trees telling him they would most likely be strangled in another year or so, he said to go ahead and do my best to take care of it. I was able to "peel" the hose/wires off the trunks with varying degrees of success. While most of the trunks were freed of their wires, on a few trunks, I could get just most of the hose/wire removed, and there were a couple where most of it was too far ingrown on the trunks. Three years later, they have all survived and even the ones with most of the wire left on seem to have grown around the wire and are doing fine, probably because the hose part had pretty much disintegrated in time to not be a factor and the tree grew around the wire. Another year or so and I'll know for sure.

However, many years ago, one of my crew left plastic wrapping cord on at the base of a balled and burlapped blue spruce. A few years later, in late spring, the tree turned completely brown and died within a week. I discovered the problem when digging it out. I think it didn't stand a chance since there were four or five windings of thick twine around the trunk. It had made a valiant effort to grow around the twine with considerable trunk swelling beneath the wrappings, but it was not to be. Your trunks have a better chance with just the one to deal with. (By the way, I replaced that spruce at no charge, being honest about my error ...actually that of an employee, but...)

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Good advice. The tissues growing above and below the tree tie, if left alone, will grow and fuse. Best to trim the obstructing material as close as possible to the trunk WITHOUT disrupting the tree. You dont want an open wound that can let in pests or diseases. And, yes, it is never good to apply anything to a tree wound. All that accomplishes is sealing in any fungus or bacteria and give it a real good shot at causing decay.

Barberton, OH

I have experienced this situation working with trees in NJ. I removed the wire and made vertical cuts in the ring when the tree was in active growth. (June -July in NJ)These cut grew connecting the top and bottom of the ring with graft-like growth. Biggest problem with leaving the ring in place is snapping off in a windstorm. That is my experience in the East. Sorry, I cant relate to CA.

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

All is well. My husband carefully used a very large pair of electrician's pliers and was able to grasp the end of the hose with the wire still intact. He used the pliers in a twisting motion and the rubber hose started to exit the wound. He went all around the tree in that fashion and it finally came out completely. The phloem and xylem layers appear to be in good shape without any weeping.

As he was raking up the dead leaves that had fallen, he was looking at the top of the tree from underneath and noticed a second hose that he'd tied on to the lodge pole and used the same technique to remove it but it was much easier because the tree diameter was much smaller than the lower one.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input.
~Nancy

Danville, IN

Yeah! Got the situation corrected in time. Congrats!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.