More "Show Us Your Beauties"

Danville, IN

Don't know how to "bump", but the former thread was getting long, so am starting a continuation with a bunch of my favorite coleus. The photos were shot at the end of last summer. Most of the coleus were grown in 3/4 sun, with just late afternoon shade.

First one is 'Beckwith's Gem', one of my favorites and has made beautiful standard.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

'Blair's Witch'

Danville, IN

'Burning Bush'

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have ordered Beckwiths Gem for this year. I grew it last year and was relly pleased.

Danville, IN

'Caesar'

Danville, IN

'Caracas'

Danville, IN

'Chelsea Rose'

Danville, IN

'Confetti'

Danville, IN

'El Brighto'

One of my all-time fabulous favorites! Gorgeous standard!

Danville, IN

'Flamingo'

Danville, IN

'Glory of Luxemborg'

Danville, IN

'Hot Embers'

Slow-growing, but very impressive.

Danville, IN

'Mr. Wonderful'

As a newly-purchased cutting, I wasn't impressed. But with sun and time, it turned out really nice.

Danville, IN

'Peter Wonder'

Another one I was impressed with after growing it in practically full sun.

Danville, IN

'Roaring Fire'

A real knockout!

Danville, IN

'Robyn'

With sun, it develops intense color.

Danville, IN

'Ruby Laser'

Danville, IN

'Smallwood's Drive'

Interesting leaf form and unusual flecking in the coloration.

Danville, IN

'Sugar Castle'

Danville, IN

'Watermelon'

Another unusual one for growing a very good standard.

Danville, IN

'Wine Country'

Wasn't impressed at first, but as a standard, it is a knockout. Very striking.

That's all folks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Really wonderful photos and terrific plants, Hoosier!

Mount Laurel, NJ

Nice plants and pictures Hoosier! Thanks for doing that work of photographing and posting them for us. It's so nice to see ones with names from people's gardens, to compare with what we see in books and on coleus retail sights. Sometimes they look very different.

Danville, IN

Thanks. Yes, the same coleus look quite different now under lights in the basement for the winter. I think the photos at both Rosy Dawn and Gebhart's web sites are pretty accurate, but nothing compares to seeing them in real life. That is why the descriptions and comments from people who actually grow them (like our fellow DG'ners) and the conditions they grow them (sun, shade, etc.) in are so important.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I bought this one at a nursery last fall as a small plant. It had no label, but I think it looks like one I've seen in pictures called 'city lights'. Has anyone seen this one before? I think I'm going to like it. Isn't that an interesting sport in the front!

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

I ordered 'kingswood torch' and this is what I got. It was a rooted cutting last Oct. It sure doesn't look like the one in the picture I ordered from, which was very red. Maybe it will turn red in the summer sun (or maybe they sent something else). It seems to be growing pretty fast, and it's easy to propagate.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Springdale, UT

I love Saturn and all of these are cuttings of the same branch of last years plant. It is amazing how different they look with just slight variations in light and temp.

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

This is my beauty..... dedicated almost exclusively to coleus

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

OMG !!!!!!! Festive Dance amazing notice it has 3 leaves .I would love it if it would keep doing it

This message was edited Feb 11, 2011 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

Songbird ..... awesome fast grower

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

Olympic Torch ?

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

Lovely..... Sedona....... maybe it will sport a Zion for me.lol

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Jupiter, FL

Thanks for the pictures ! I got 25 coming from R dawns on March 22 and getting 10 from Gebheart.
Now I wished i had ordered Elbrighto and Festive dancer , Robyn :) Boy , they are pretty...

I have Smallwoods drive overwintering in my kitchen...... I love it !

Dragonman. That some big rock you got in you backyard .Nothing like that here in Florida :)

Springdale, UT

Rose Storm or Florida Sun Rose ?

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

How funny I have my order from RD coming on the 22nd also the day before my b'day. That big rock is The Watchman.... I live at the entrance of Zion Canyon. Festive Dance is a seed variety, very easy to grow. So cool... Tilt a Whirl

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's my Florida Sun Rose, photo taken in sun during August, for comparison.

Thumbnail by pirl
Springdale, UT

weloveouryard, here is a better perspective of the rock...the greenhouse is above the 10 in the pic.

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

How about a Kiwi Fern Bonsai.... just leave the end leaves on the branches and prune like a bonsai. This was gorgeous last year. I just took off all the discolored old foliage and this is new growth. I'll take another pic when she hits her glory again.

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv
West Branch, IA(Zone 5b)

OMG Hoosier,What a great collection you posted. Wish I hadn't crossed Beckwith's Gem off when narrowing down list.
I'm delighted I ordered Blair's Witch,El Brighto & Florida Inferno.

I love coleus.
sewNsow

Thumbnail by sewNsow
Springdale, UT

How could I forget Killer Klown

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.