fertilizer for Peonies

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Is there a specific fertilizer I should be using on my Peonies?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you able to get peonies to bloom in Berkeley? I am in zone 9a too here in Sacramento, and I have had fairly good luck with my peonies. I normally just prepare the holes really well, with lots of compost, and then rarely fertilize...maybe once every 4 years or so when I toss some general all purpose fertilizer out on my other perennial plants.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I lost some of my first peony plants when I didn't know how easily composted manure and dampness casue disease to the plants even if it's not all that close to the plant itself. Advice I've had for New England has been to use a 5-5-5 mix though other mixes are ok if not too high in nitrogen.. Additionally, we add ashes every spring for higher potash. They really love that addition and I'd say that is a requirement for the tree peonies.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's what my favorite peony adviser (Lindsay D'Aoust) says about fertilizer:

l
25. Should I apply fertilizer to my peonies?
Not necessarily.

Peonies are heavy feeders but whether or not additional fertilizer is necessary depends on the type of soil. Heavy soils tend to be more fertile than sandy soils and it is not always necessary to add fertilizer. Sandy soils however tend to be nutritionally poorer and the regular addition of nutrients will help ensure the peonies are well fed.

In my opinion these nutrients are best added in the form of compost rather than chemical fertilizers. Top dressing around your peonies each fall with well-aged compost will improve the structure as well as nutritional content of the soil. It is best not to add the compost directly on the crown of the peony, but rather in a circle around it.

If compost is not available, a granular fertilizer higher in phosphate and potassium than nitrogen can be scratched into the soil around the crown in early spring and fall.

Organ, NM(Zone 7a)

Pic below of my white peony. I stupidly didn't save the tag, so don't know the name. It didn't have as many blooms this year because we had a most unusual winter here in zone 7a NM (some mornings when it was -14 below). But this double peony is very nice and I planted 3 more last fall when White Flower Farm had a 3 for one price sale. All are up, but of course, not blooming this year. Here in NM, the peonies have bloomed and gone. They're growing among some tall yellow columbine.
I never had peonies until I moved to KY and there was one growing by the house. Thought I'd try here in NM. They need a filtered shade protection from our fierce sun. I fertilize everything (peonies, iris, roses, etc.) with BR 61 in Feb. and then use Miracle Grow a couple of times during the rest of the summer. I bought some sturdier supports this year than I've used previously because this bush is over 3' tall and the blooms are so heavy that the stalks fold over if they're not supported.

Thumbnail by desertbunny
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Carol, I do exactly what your expert said, and use compost only, and away from the base of the plants. It works beautifully, at least here in the midwest.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here in Southwestern Michigan, I use Compost and chicken poop, 3/4 compost and 1/4 chicken. Work it into the soil (sandy Loam) early in the spring, just as soon as the plants are coming up,and you can work the soil. has worked for at least 25 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.