Heliconia psittacorum

Bundaberg, Australia

Does anyone know where in Australia I can order the new heliconia psittacorum series: Flemenco, Pearl, Pink Blush, Red Devil, Rose Red and Rosie Q? I know they are in the NT but would like to locate a seller to purchase online. Thanks!

barmera, Australia

Ann from Tropical Gardens in El Arish QLD might have them. The business is still open after Yasi but the Post Office isn't. You could go and look at her site and see if she has them anyway. Good luck eGreenGardens. Colleen

Bundaberg, Australia

Thanks, but they don't have them. At least they aren't listed on their site. Cheers, Jane

se qld, Australia

The only place I can think of that might have them is The Palm Place at Yandina, Jane. Someone in the Tropical Foliage Society might have them?

Bundaberg, Australia

Thanks everyone.

I've actually discovered Towen Mount Tropicals, run by Maureen. She has a great selection and does a terrific job.

Cheers,
Jane

noonamah, Australia

A lot of the nurseries here have Heliconia psittacorum, but you need to be a bit careful with them. They can be very invasive. Once they're in they're hard to control and hard to get rid of. Best kept in pots.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Hi guys, We ( El Arish Tropical Exotics) do have psitts but haven't been selling them for exactly the reasons cited by Tropic Breeze. If you are in a marginal area or have terrible soil then I guess they are a pretty good choice but there are so many drawbacks to growing them I'm not sure if it's worth it :(
They are quick and easy to propagate look great flowering in pots but can be a nightmare if not used properly in the garden.

We will be addng a selection of psitts in the spring including the some of the Darwin series. They'll all come with a stern warning lol. I'll be adding info on psitts on our blog within the next month or so: http://nqheliconias.blogspot.com/

If you are interested you can sign up for the newsletter and new blog posts will be automatically sent to you.

Colleen, I hope your brugs are all growing well and you are getting lots of flowers!!

Warm Regards, Ann

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 8:44 PM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 8:50 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.