CLOSED: want: lobelia "laguna" seeds

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I would Iove to try the laguna seeds. I don't collect a lot of seed but I have cardinal flower, hyacinth bean, evening primrose, mixed dwarf zinnia, and mixed regular zinnia. PLMK

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Would you like to try a few seeds of one of these?

Lobelia cardinalis Blue "Giant Blue"
Lobelia erinus compacta "Crystal Palace" [A?]
Lobelia siphilitica "Great Blue"

I don't have the "Black and Blue" Salvia, but I do have many others from trades and might be able to split a pkt if you have another specific Salvia desire.

Corey

This message was edited Feb 8, 2011 4:28 PM

Crystal palace looks perfect! Is it a perennial or an annual? Will you trade some seed with me?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Lobelia erinus compacta "Crystal Palace" [A?]

Sure, Crystal Palace I have some of left. However, I'll be splitting a pkt I received in a trade, so the quantity won't be large.

The Lobellia seeds are so small, I think they're uncrushable. I'll send some in a 44 cent envelope with some thin padding. (I tried to buy marked-down boxes of Christmas cards after New Years, for seed trading, but didn't go looking soon enough! I found your address in the address exchange.)

The plant you listed as "virginia" ... is that an Iris? It's pretty, but shipping bulbs may be expensive. Maybe after I get some Salvia and Penstemon and Delphiniums established (and surviving the slugs), we could trade some bulbs or plants.

I expect it to be "trailing", and DG Plant Files calls it "Annual". However, they say it self-sows freely, AND you can divide the root ball. Next year, if mine thrive and get pollinated, I can send a larger quantity.

DG Plant Files makes it sound "not fussy", but not necessarily true from seed. I think that may only mean that the commerical seed is highly selected, and the F2 may not be as densly flowered or richly colored. My theory is that, if we select what we keep, we can stay pretty close to the preferred forms!)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90390/

Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
Provides winter interest
Suitable for growing in containers

Sun Exposure:
Full Sun
Sun to Partial Shade
Light Shade

Corey

This message was edited Feb 11, 2011 12:25 PM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2011 12:32 PM

Yes, I think the "virginia" is the native iris, often called Blue Flag. The multiply fast, but eventually have to be divided as the center dies out.
I know what this lobelia is now and can get it locally so I will pass on the seed.
Bulbs don't need to be priority so I think we can ship them affordably. Contact me again in the spring so I won't forget you....Betty

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Betty!

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.