Starting onions in Connecticut

Harwinton, CT

Does anyone here start onion seeds under glass? If so, when do you start them? I did several years ago and I think I started them in February. . .had great success and won a few blue ribbons for them at a fair. Last year I started them at the same time and they all gave up the ghost a month or so after setting them out in June. We did have some cool weather but I didn't think that would harm onions. Any comments??

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There was a discussion about onions on radio within the last few weeks and they said those of us in the north should only grow "long day" onions. Could you have kept the soil too damp the year it didn't work well?

Congratulations on the blue ribbons!

East Bridgewater, MA

A heat mat, perhaps?

Thomaston, CT

Hi neighbor, the only onions I grow now are the bunching ones....this year I got the red ones. The one year I grew regular onions, root maggots spoiled the whole crop! They looked wonderful on top, but were totally spoiled underneath! I know folks usually use sets & not seeds......I think seeds take too long.

Harwinton, CT

The onions grew fine under lights in the house before setting them out at the end of May, and after a couple of weeks outside they didn't do well at all. The few that survived didn't reach a large size. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience after a year of really fine ones. Could be the water; we did have a lot or rain in early summer if I remember correctly.

Hi Robindog!!

Thomaston, CT

Hi Playin!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I haven't had any luck with onions from seeds and not much more from sets.

Too much rain or too much watering will not give a good yield at all. Most of ours rotted when we had too much rain. I'd bet that's the cause of it.

Harwinton, CT

Yup, Pirl, now that you mention it, I believe thats what the problem was. Thanks!

At least the small ones can be used, even if you just put them in a pot of chicken stock. It's the ruined, soggy ones that are such disappointments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.