Cross Pollinate Viburnum

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I want to purchase a Viburnum plicatum for the Doublefile Viburnum I have in my yard.
I received this Viburnum from my brother as a seedling that grew near what I think is a Doublefile Viburnum.
It is a gorgeous 10' shrub covered in horizontal layers of white flowers and then red berries which may turn black--I don't know. I have only seem it when it has beautiful red berries.
1. Is the seedling identical to it's parent?
2. I would like to get a cross pollinator but I don't know which to get because I don't know what the seedling is.

Please give me some direction and advise.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 5:45 PM

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 5:50 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You've described Doublefile Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum). Pictures of the plant would help make this an absolute ID, but I think the information you've given is pretty much enough for me.

Since this plant you want to know about is a seedling, not a cutting or sucker from the roots, then it should not be identical to the parent plant. Thus, another selection of Doublefile Viburnum should be adequate to be a cross-pollinating partner.

There are many fine selections of Doublefile Viburnum you can choose from that can do fine in MO. Read up on them in PlantFiles or online, and choose one that sounds good to you. Several that will be easier to find include 'Mariesii', 'Shasta', and 'Shoshoni' - but pick one that suits your fancy.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

You know, I bet this was a sucker. I hadn't thought of that. Foolish me. This beautiful shrub was there when they moved in.
The house is about 30 years old. The Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum was introduced around 1979. That would seem like the deduced choice. But, I am guessing.
I believe my choice is a crap shoot. I think I will chose Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Mariesii' as it seems somewhat more removed than the 'Shoshoni'.
Does this sound like a good choice?

This message was edited Feb 7, 2011 9:05 AM

Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I picked the wrong picture! I will re-do this. BTW, should those two branches on the right side of the crepe myrtle that's going into the center be cut out?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I chose the wrong picture.
Here's the Viburnum I rec'd from my brother:

Thumbnail by birder17
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If you want the "full size" Doublefile Viburnum, choose 'Mariesii' or 'Shasta'. If you want a more compact version, then choose 'Shoshoni'. All of these are fine plants, and should provide you the cross-pollination that you want.

The crepe myrtle looks just fine to me, though thinning cuts won't hurt anything.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I am guessing this sucker that I have is a 'Shasta' since they were "new" and quite popular when the house was built.
So, I am going with Meriessii.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi, Birder! Don't mean to butt in, but it sounded like the conversation was over, so just thought I would add something - I bought two 'Mariesii's' spring before last and they are truly beautiful! (Pic attached - there's one on each end) And, I say that even though they haven't flowered yet! I'm not too worried - the first spring I put them in right about their flowering time and last spring I think they were still getting established. Even without blooms, they're great. The only thing - they like water and lots of it! If you don't give it to them, they sulk. (Leaves droop.) I usually don't like needy plants, but these are an exception. Good choice!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the vote of confidence for the Mariesii choice. I was planning on putting it very near (8') from the original Doublefile but neither will be in Opportune location. It will be on a slope on the east side of the house which will get some afternoon shade. But, since it is on a slope, the moisture may be a problem. It will probably do okay there--just not ideal.
The seedling I have has been there many years-probably 10 and it's not very tall. Maybe I should place the Mareisii somewhere else. I understand it can be 100 feet or less away for pollination. If I remember right, I read it likes full sun.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

A lot of confusion out there on the sun issue for Mariesii - I've read and heard both sun and shade. Your area, being a tad hotter than here, part sun is probably perfect. Not sure where Jackson is, but I do know southeast Missouri gets hotter 'n' a firecracker in summer! Most of my kin come from that area and it's like my second home. Love that part of the country. It gets hot here, too, but doesn't STAY as hot! As for water, well . . . he'll sulk a bit but will probably just adapt and drive his roots deeper!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Jackson is in SE Mo.! You are right on target about the summer heat! Thanks for the in put regarding the shade issue. It helps to discuss planting issues.
Birder

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh, you're down by the Cape! (Just googled it) My folks are in Washington and St. Francois counties and St. Louis. Always wanted to retire down there. Maybe in 10 years if hubby and I can ever stop working!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We're about 15 minutes from Cape. It's really hot and humid here in the summers. Very little breeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.