transplanting my adenium to semi-hydro! (fingers crossed)

Mumbai, India

i grow a lot of my plants in hydroton, and already have transplanted a small adenium to s/h...
its just that the plant i'm about to transplant now... sigh... i love it! and am nervous!!
i've managed to overwater it though in the past six months, and managed to lose a few branches to rot in the monsoons :(
....and hopefully this should help! fingers crossed!

Thumbnail by mobiusstrip
Arlington, TX

Let me know how it does, I lost a small one in SH so I am keeping mine in soil. How do plants do outside in hot temps. in SH? We get to 106 F here and I am wondering if SH would dry up too quickly.
Cheryl

Yardley, PA

I have had about 8 adeniums in s/h for many years and they do great. I haven't lost any since I have switched and I lost a number of them when they were in dirt. I keep my plants outside in the sun in the summer and it goes into the high 90's at times and there is no problem. I do water them more often. I actually just hose them down every day.

Yardley, PA

This is my large adenium that is magnificient in the summer

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Here is another group of adeniums that I keep under lights in the winter and they have water all winter long.
Most do not grow and just stay status quo all winter so I only water every few weeks. I just rewater when the
reservoir is empty.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I do want to make a correction. A few years ago I did lose a very young adenium. Forgot about that one. Don't know if it was from the s/h or not.

Mumbai, India

ive found hydroton works really well even in the searing summer heat!
just need to water a lot more often..

with some of the plants i have in transparent containers, i can see the water evaporating in the heat, and leaving droplets along the container walls.. but the plants dont seem to mind it at all..

Mumbai, India

wow Sally0, been reading some of your past threads on s/h and adeniums!
very very inspiring :-D

Yardley, PA

mobiusstrip I am just thrilled I found s/h as it has cut down on my rotting problems tremendously. Many of the plants also seem to grow more quickly. I think it is because the roots are free to roam. You sound like you have had success, also.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Forgive my ignorance...I just woke up...what is S/H? thank you

Yardley, PA

It is semi hydroponics. I use clay pellets instead of dirt.

Thank you. I woke up enough to keep reading and found my answer. now to see if I can find this stuff locally. I know of a hydroponics store here in town.

Yardley, PA

you can also read about it at firstrays.com. He really came up with this idea. There is a forum there, too.

thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.