We're off to a good start!

southeast, NE

Our first "baby" calf was born today. Lady had a bull calf and it weighed a whopping 125 lbs. DH & DD were on their way home from cattle show when I called them on cell phone and told them Lady was in labor. Our teenage friend was helping me with chores and a good friend of ours helped me move Lady in. Our friend said he could tell she was going to have a big calf so they decided to help her along and pull it. He is really big - wide hips, big shoulders, etc. We may just have to keep him as a bull. Can you tell how excited I am? We only have 18 cows, 15 of which my dd has shown for 4-H and FFA so they're all pretty special. Our neighbor laughed because I kept calling dh on cell phone and telling them the progress. The neighbor has over 100 cows so it's no big deal to him.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!