Maple sago kaku

Richmond, CA

My supposedly red trunk and branches is not red - only the outward little branches. I got an answer from victor the gardener and now I cannot fibnd it in the maples forum, please help.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thats the thing about Sango Kaku. Only the smaller branches stay red. The larger branches stay an orangey green. Just enjoy it for the beauty it does have and don't worry about it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

must stay warm there - my two get very red - here is a shot during a snow storm looking through sango to a crimson queen

Thumbnail by wha
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe that's it Wha. Mine certainly doesn't turn that color! What a beautiful thing.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

How old is your Crimson Queen there, Wha? I love the branching on that one.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx doss

hi chad - that one was a reject from hd with broken branches and was an average size when i got it - must be 15 yrs old - have another in the back a similar size - both will receive major thinning in the next month

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think it is more likely that the Doss tree is older and much bigger ... as she said it is the newer branches thast stay red so until the tree gets some age you likely will see more red ... as the branches get older bigger and get heavy bark like the trunk will have shortly it makes sense they would not red up ... Cold may have something to do with it but my guess is Bill's with age, maybe in 10 years, will be just like Dosses,if I remember correctly irt is a full grown pretty big older tree . Sango is very fast growing and grows quite a bit each year when young so two feet of branches may be only a couple years old ... as the tree ages it naturally slows down broadens and grows bigger caliper trunk branches etc ... the new growth is smaller and less evident ... I would assume that will be the future for most... a glow of red like a halo around the canopy of younger shorter brancheettes rather than they whole tree with red branches as they are when young. Davidsan

This message was edited Feb 18, 2011 4:57 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the sango's i have - the one above is 10 years old, has a lot of red - the other in the back was full grown when i purchased it, the main branches do not color, however it is still has a ton of red branches. i think the cold does have an affect and when branches get larger they do not turn - still the shoots off the branches, of which there are many, still have that nice red in the winter.

Hallowell, ME

Bill - I know one of our friends in NEG said you had a/some jm's in containers. How many and which ones?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have about 10 or so in containers - any jm can go in a container, most of mine in container are dwarf, or very small and will plant them out when the grow some, there are a couple tender ones that may not handle our winters. koto maru, beni komanchi, full moon maple are some of them

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I assume you mean those mentioned are ones you have in containers not ones that can't handle winter ;>).. as those mentioned are all very hardy ..D

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yup in containers - will probably plant out the koto maru and beni komachi this year - both have huge root systems

Hallowell, ME

Thanks again Bill.

Richmond, CA

well I really learned something about sango - kaku - thank you guys !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.