Ascocentrum curvifolium?

Ann Arbor, MI

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone out there has ever grown (or knows about) ascocentrum curvifolium 

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/117812/ 

In particular,

1. How difficult might it be to make this one happy indoors?  I have a reasonably large wardian case (roughly 16" x 16" x 24"), great southern exposure and can add t5 lights and/or heat mats if needed. 

2. How big does this get at maturity (width too). Plantfiles lists it as under 12", but it'd be nice to have a bit more specific info.  I am working on setting up this wardian case and would love to incorporate a number of orchids and if possible, episcias, so space is a consideration. 

Any other info/suggestions  be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jan

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Great plant Jan, hope you'll get the advice you need. Seems to be uncommon or rare tough. Good luck!

Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Maria --

Thanks... looks like it might be. But it was worth a shot -- I've been amazed at the things people around here know about particular plants at times. And sellers will often tell you a plant is easy when it's "a bit" more particular than that. But, I'll probably just give it a try anyhow -- it's fairly inexpensive and at worst I learn what not to try next time, right?

Hope you are staying warm over there!

Jan

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

I was lucky today -- we've got some sunshine!

I tried to look up your plant info, well ... not much besides 'keep evenly moist' and size 15-25 cm. Flowers are pretty though:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/ascocurvifolium.htm

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have it, Jan. Actually, a double in one basket. I don't think it's a good candidate for a case. It likes pretty strong sun year around and only blooms once a year, in late Spring to summer. They like frequent watering, like daily, but then the roots need to dry out quickly. Here is mine blooming last May...

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

And in '09, the year I got it.

I peeked down the leaves of mine just the other day and see a spike forming on the taller plant. Hope the smaller one spikes too. Here is a close up of the flowers. Love the blue centers against the red.

Apparently these pollinate very easily because I had to keep picking off seed capsules so the plant wouldn't waste energy growing seeds.

Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Laurel & Maria,

Thanks so much for the info and advice.  

Beautiful flower. And I didn't even see the blue in other shots -- really nice. But .. it sounds like this is something for when I set up a greenhouse (and move south 500 miles).  The former is probably just a matter of time; the latter, I doubt unless I suddenly stop hating humid weather.  I've always said that Arizona is the only warm area I can imagine living in, and I'd bet there aren't too many "happy vandas" out there.  A short lived and ill-fated love affair ...

Best, 

Jan

Mine is spikeing!

Ann Arbor, MI

Cool! How long does it usually take to reach bloom -- isn't this a bit early?

It will be months before it blooms. I have a clump of Ascocentrum garayi opening now. It is a true mini. I'll post it on the main thread in a few days when more flowers are open.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.