Using Multi-Purpose Items to Eliminate Clutter

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm always looking for items that can pull double-duty. The right items can use space efficiently, have an aesthetic appeal, and eliminate clutter.

As an example, I bought a computer armoire and got rid of my glasstop L shaped desk. The desk didn't hold everything I needed at my fingertips and it always looked cluttered. The armoire has lots of shelves as well as 2 CD racks to store my software. It has doors I can close to keep everything dust free and also to hide any clutter I may have. When I have guests, I can close it up and it just looks like a nice piece of furniture. Also, on the interior of the doors, I glued bulletin boards to organize all those little sticky notes that used to encircle my computer monitor.

In my kitchen, I installed an island cabinet. I needed storage for pots and pans as well as more counter space. I also bought some bar stools to put around the island. For some reason, guests always want to gather in the kitchen, so now they can.

Even my fine china has a bigger purpose. I decided I like using it so well that I'd just start using it daily. Why not? Why save the best for the occasional visitor? Why not treat myself as well as my guests? I got rid of the everyday china and now have just the fine china, which I use daily and love it. I feel so pampered when I use pretty dishes.

My sectional has a sleeper sofa, so it doubles as an extra bed when I need it.

I'm currently looking for some nightstands with drawers in them to use as end tables in the living room. I'm also looking for a bench with storage underneath which I could use as a bench and clothes hamper. And I'd like to find an ottomon with storage to use as the living room coffee table.

Even my furry companion Sam is multifunctional. Not only is he a happy and fun friend, but he's also butler, bodyguard, and head of the irrigation and fertilization dept in my gardens. LOL

What items do you own that have multiple purposes?

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
This thread has 51 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!