February 1st, 2011: Quiver Tree (Aloe dichotoma) by rudix

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for February 1st, 2011 was Quiver Tree (Aloe dichotoma).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2011-02-01

(Zone 1)

Beautiful scenery and I love that tree! I never knew there was an Aloe that grew so tall!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

What a great shot;o)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Actually Plantladylin, there are a lot of kinds and some get quite big. Around me here, I have only seen a couple of big ones growing in the ground. And mainly Aloe barberae. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/264050/

They take on such artistic forms. A desert background really seems to compliment them. I think. I am so dying to have one of my own but alas the big ones are too much money and I am too old to grow a huge one now. But I do have 4 kinds that are capable of getting huge so we shall see how big I can get them on my time.

Southern California has lots. I have also seen pictures from South Africa where they are just huge and there can be groves of them growing wild. Some have such great shapes. Some such odd shapes. They are really fun!

(Zone 1)

Oh my goodness, that A. barberae is amazing too ... looks like an Aloe Palm Tree! I guess I should have realized that not all Aloes are house plant size LOL, I'm just used to seeing our lower growing Aloe saponaria here in Florida. I remember years ago, when for the first time I saw a tall Beaucarnea recurvata ("Ponytail Palm") planted in the ground. I was stunned by the size because I was only familiar with the juvenile form commonly sold in the house plant section of my local garden center.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Interesting info Kell!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. That happened to me too! But I didn't even connect what it was until I saw a picture on here that was full grown with a name attached! And they flower too, that was a shock. LOL

I would think Florida would have tons of them. Maybe too humid?

(Zone 1)

I doubt they'd survive long here in Florida with the constant high humidity.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.