FYI: Got some new needles today...

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

In case anyone is interested in these, a long distance relative of my hubby's designed a side threading needle. You just make a loop over the needle and pull it into the slot to self thread. I've been using the calyx self threaders (they thread from the end), but usually stick myself or manage to shred the thread just enough somehow to have it break in the middle of stitching.
Pam was featured on Pitchmen, a TV show that features new inventions and people that set up at Home Shows and such to sell interesting products. Unfortunately, I think the rest of the season has been shelved until later this year. Pam managed to make the last episode. Info on the original invention:

http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/independent/eye/201002/spiraleye.html

Anthony Sullivan, a TV Pitchman for numerous products was one of the 'judges' who decided that her product was worth investments, and helped her thru the remaining Patent work with her lawyer and made the commercial, naming it the 'One Second Needle', after having people try it out with thread. Interesting, in that after all this, she still has the Spiral Eye Needle, is mfg'g it in MN out of all stainless steel, in many needle types and sizes. The One Second Needle is being made overseas from nickel plated steel. It was a licensing thing...
At any rate, she is on FB, also has her website:
FB: Spiral Eye Needles

http://spiraleyeneedles.com/
While I ordinarily wouldn't pay alot for hand sewing needles, as I don't go thru that many..... my eyes are not what they once were, and some days even a good lick on the thread and needle won't help. I ordered her 4 pack in a case, which has 4 different sizes and paid the $25 bucks 1) because I was really frustrated that evening trying to do some hand sewing, and 2) she's related and we wanted to help her out.. LOL After getting them today, I feel they are worth the investment, because they sure do make threading effortless.
Hubby was happy that they are also magnetic, so he gave me one of those extendable magnet things that picks up screws and such when you're working on cars or whatever ☺.
While the ones from China are probably fine, I'm just supporting a new inventor/relative/USA mfg and thought I would pass the info on to anyone that may be interested, especially those of us who applique and handstitch.

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 21 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!