Beavers

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Has anyone had beaver problems? We live on 15 acres with a small creek and pond in the lower field. We have been plagued with beavers damming up the creek off and on for years. The current beavers have totally swamped our road to the back 10 acres, rendering most of our property unreacheable. I am in the process of researching beaver trappers, but am fearful this will just be a stop-gap measure and new beavers will soon return (after spending hundreds of dollar to eradicate the existing ones). Any ideas on how to discourage them from setting up shop in the first place? They are deemed 'nuisance animals' in Washington but one still has to hire a professional trapper to get rid of them. I have attempted to co-exist with them, but they just keep flooding us out and we are fearful our property will be redesignated as wetlands. The back 10 is our woodlot, and the front 5 is mostly open fields with our house in the middle and scattered trees. The creek runs in a valley between two hills and the pond is an offshoot of the creek. Thanks. Here's a photo taken last fall -- all the long pale grass and standing dead alders are under water. Our road runs to the right of the pond. The tractor is crossing the creek culvert, which is completely under water now.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Daily dam removal is supposed to work. After they have to rebuild it every night for a week or so, they usually move somewhere else.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

We are having our second annual "State of the Beaver" conference in Canyonville (SW Oregon) the next three days, and there will be experts from all over the world speaking. Duncan Haley, from Norway will be here again. Two of my closest friends are relocators in our area. If you'd like to d-mail me with contact info, I'm sure I can put you in touch with someone that can help you.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Daily dam removal didn't help us, just ruined my DH's back and temper. We eventually caved-in and hired a trapper, who removed a large number of beavers from our property and also our downstream neighbor's. This was about 5 years ago, and although there are still beavers in the valley, they have not dammed the stream again. We do, however, have a large pond held back by an earthen dam, so the beavers have some deep water in which to store food for winter.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

We've tried manual dam destruction - they don't call them busy beavers for nothing, always built back up the next day. We've hired a trapper twice for separate families, and destroyed both the dams and lodges after removal. Unfortunately we obviously have an attracive habitat for the critters. I always picture another little beaver family arriving with their suitcases in hand, looking the place over, and saying, "Yeah, this will work fine."

If not for the road problem, I would happily co-exist with them. I don't mind the expanded pond but we do need access to our back 10 acres... Maybe this time we can build up the road when it dries out and put in some more culvert for the inevitable next batch of beavers.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Try leaving a pipe through the bottom of the next breach you put in the dam? The beavers will build on top of it, and not realise the water can go on running away ;-)

Resin

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good idea!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm bored and have some time to google ^_^ Here ya' go:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/wildlife/wdc/beavers.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartwildlife/3256471980/ roll mouse around to get description of what is shown. Click on more pics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.