2011 SPRING PLANT SWAP IN THE PARK

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WELL HERE WE ARE AGAIN PLANNING FOR ANOTHER SPRING SWAP IN THE PARK .

WHERE : FREEPORT PARK
ADDRESS: FREEPORT MICH , CAN'T MISS IT FOR IT IS AT THE END OF MAIN STREET THEN SOUTH 1 BLOCK
ON THE RIGHT .

DATE : SATURDAY JUNE 4 TH 2011

TIME:10: AM--12 PM SIGN IN & SET UP
PLENTY OF TABLES JUST BRING A TABLE CLOTH TO SET YOUR PLANTS
ON PLEASE .

THERE WILL BE A LUNCHEON FROM 12OO -1:00 PM & CHAT

ROUND ROBIN STARTS AT 1PM TILL ALL PLANTS FIND A GOOD HOME .

PLEASE BRING A WRAPPED GARDENING GIFT THERE WILL BE A GIFT EXCHANGE .

THERE WILL ALSO BE OTHER PRIZES GIVEN AWAY .

ALL PLANTS SHOULD BE POTTED IN 4 INCH & LARGER POTS MARKED WITH AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE.

FEEL FREE TO LET US KNOW IF YOUR LOOKING FOR ANY SPECIAL PLANTS SUCH AS HOSTAS, LILIES, ECHINACEA,
GROUND COVERS , ECT .

CAN HARDLY WAIT TILL SPRING
SUSIE

Thumbnail by deejay9
Sand Lake, MI

Ahhh Susie,
Glad to hear you are already planning another swap. I will get the date on the calendar. Right now, Kris and I will plan to be there. So excited. I hope I potted up some good treats last fall. Can't wait to see everyone again.
Leann

I Hope to find many more new plants this year also :) we need to wake everyone up & Get them in here to think spring :))))))

well daddy just yelled to say mail came so i have to get my long johns on :) BURRRRRRR.
you all have a great day & Be safe.

Gee where is everyone guess you all think it is to early to THINK SPRING :) .

not for me , It will be here before you know it :)))

Grand Rapids, MI

Yay! So excited! Hubby just bought a truck, hee hee...

So happy to hear that

Sand Lake, MI

Oh Shel, You are so lucky. Now we can really load you up. Then you get all those lovelies home and realize you have to plant them. Temporary insanity indeed.
Leann

SO Will Dear Hubby Be comming with to HELP LOAD ????

Grand Rapids, MI

Ha! One can always try to get the DH to come :-) He is especially indebted after our mishap last fall... He thought he was helping with fall cleanup and DUG UP all my plants from the swap. He knew he was in trouble when he found me on my knees, sobbing, searching the ground for remnants of roots. Not a good day. But he was very sorry and is planning on a big trip to the greenhouse as soon as it is time :-) LOL.

Maybe we can get BIZZIES Hubby to talk to him :)

Grand Rapids, MI

I don't know.... I think my garden will be better off if he doesn't even TRY!!!!!!!! LOL

Sand Lake, MI

Shel,
Was there anything in particular he dug up that you are heartbroken about? I may be able to bring extras for you in addition to swap plants. Let us know.
Leann

Same here shel , just let us know , hope you will get intouch with linda & let them know of the swap so they can be ready this spring :)))

BIRDIE : OH BIRDIE WHERE ARE YOU HIDING THESE DAYS .
RONA : WHERE ARE YOU ??? also

Spring is on the way
susie

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks guys, I'll have to get out there and take inventory. I know he dug up the false indigo, I was particularly bummed about that. And a few more I'll have to check my notebook... Can't wait till spring! This nice weather the past few days is really making it hard to sit at my desk!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did let Linda know, by the way :-)

COOL Sure hope she can make it :) Ask her if we are going to plan another trip to the HERB FARM ????
& WHEN ????? I WENT To Fredrik Meijers Garden today with a DG MEmber from TX Up here Visiting we had a wonderful time

here is a link to our day at the gardens if you click on slide show it is great .

time to lay back have a great weekend

susie

Sand Lake, MI

I was out in the gardens today and yesterday. Pulling out all the leaves we missed in the fall - way more than we thought. But it was nice to see all the little baby plant shoots braving the cold. We had to have a small fire so we could warm and hands and buns when we got too cold. I guess I have spring fever bad.

YOUR NOT ALONE Every nice day we have I Do one garden I Just hope I can have them all done before the blooms so i can enjoy the blooms :)
happy gardening all .

Grand Rapids, MI

Looks like Linda has another obligation on the day of our swap, bummer!

The more I look into it the more depressed I get... It looks like I've lost all my blackberry candylilies (I had grown them from seed and was so proud :-( Also a number of foxgloves, irises and various types of sedum... There was a cool bloodwart (I think that is what it was called) I'd gotten at the swap that is gone... a lavender, and a thyme. And a pink coreopsis I'm pretty bummed about too.

YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED YET Nothing of those are up here yet so don't give up yet roots are deep .
my candy lilies are not showing yet either.

have to run back later .

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks Suzie, I'll hold out hope :-)

we are still in for bad weather so don't rush them mid aprill you will see change maybe

GM All we had a few snow flakes this morning soup i have a Nice big pot of SPLIT PEA SOUP On To Warm the OLD BONES :))) Come on over .

susie

Grand Rapids, MI

mmmm... Sounds good Susie, wish I were closer :-)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

darn that is my weekend to work sorry! I am noyt going to re- "up" my subscription to the site this year. I do not get on enough. We can still use the site without paying. So maybe I will be able to get on here am not sure yet. I hope the swap is a huge sucess. Thanks, Ronna

Rona we will miss you sure hope maybe we can find time for a luncheon please call when you can .

Crossville, TN

This looks like a good time in the making....would ya'll want me to list it in the Round Up thread? Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

yes you may list it for us if you would like we have a great Day together & Really would like to meet others from DG Around the area this is a great meeting place we have lots of sunshine & Shade . we are a Small Groop but we share BEAUTIFUL Plants Better then you can get in a store :))) .

here are the few of us from last spring & we hope to grow by a few more this year :)))
anyone who wants to know more can call me at 269-945-4323
ty JO

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/FREEPORT%20PLANT%20SWAP%202010/

Sand Lake, MI

Shel, How is the plant search going? I can help you with blackberry lilies and probably the false indigo. Leann

Shel you can check my list also & I CAN BRING to you.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I am back on wanting to do some trading but am not able to come to the swap. I need some shade plants.... Am looking at my area and it looks beautiful but want more. Gardening is so much fun. Relaxing. I worked for hours yesterday and could hardly move for the rest of the day lol. But enjoyed every minuet! Sorry about the swap but hope you all have a great time. Ronna

Rona I Have many great new plants to share this spring so hope you make room on your calendar for us :)
I have been potting up many many plants .

Thumbnail by deejay9
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Susie but we are very tight on emplyees now and I am not able to get an extra sat off. So I will not be able to come to the swap:( Your Iris are absolutly georgeous! But I however do not have enough sun in my yard to force a bloom sad to say. Thanks, Ronna

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Susie, I just looked at your photos from last year's swap. Where's your picture??
I am sorry that I can't go again this year as I also have prior commitments. It looks like everyone had a very good time.

Here are a few pic's from last one I'm the 1st pic sure wish you could make it down
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7889400

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone,
I have never been to a swap, partly because I do not have a lot of stuff properly named. I am going to ask a few stupid questions, so that I may be able to prepare for a swap.

1) If some of what you want to swap is coming out of your ground, how long before the swap should you dig it up and pot it, to make sure that it will be okay?

2) Could it include things that you started from seed their first year, or is it better to wait and see if they survive an entire year either in a pot or temporarily in the ground before taking them?

3) How many plants do you need to take to a swap to not get laughed at? and to make your presence worth while?

The pictures kind of look like everyone has a greenhouse in their backyard, I know that is probably not the case, but you are obviously all well established gardeners. Are newbies discouraged from going to something this organized?

Q ) If some of what you want to swap is coming out of your ground, how long before the swap should you dig it up and pot it, to make sure that it will be okay?

(A) AS SOON AS YOU CAN POT THE PLANT UP IT WILL DO MUCH BETTER FOR SHOW AT THE SWAP
ALL PLANTS SOMETIME GO INTO SHOCK FOR A DAY OR SO ,IN THIS CASE USE SOME THRIVE ON THEM THAT HELPS & FOUND IN YOUR LOCAL GARDEN STORES .

Q ) Could it include things that you started from seed their first year, or is it better to wait and see if they survive an entire year either in a pot or temporarily in the ground before taking them?

A) WE DO NOT DO SEEDLINGS IN OUR SWAP'S WE BULBS, PERENNIALS , SOME HOUSE PLANTS,

Q ) How many plants do you need to take to a swap to not get laughed at? and to make your presence worth while?

A) YOU WILL NOT BE LAUGHTED AT TILL END OF THE SWAP WHEN WE SEE YOU FILLING YOUR CAR & YOU HAVE NO ROOM FOR YOUR PASSENGERS SIT . SO PLEASE BE WELL WARNED :) hehe

JUST ASK SHEL OR LEANN :)) i DO HOPE Y6OU CAN COME JOIN US IT IS SO MUCH FUN

YOU WILL GO HOME WITH MORE THEN YOU BRING ANYWAY SO NOT TO WORRY . IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTION JUST CALL ME . 269- 945- 4323
SUSIE

Thanks so much Susie, I will try to make it this year, but it might be next year before I have proper names for enough stuff to trade:-)

just pot up bring what you have we have many gardeners who can proble tell you what you have for we do have books with us to identify plants together. so bring what you can . My Grandmother had a boarding house up in your area for many many years my mother was from up that way spent many summers up on DUCK LAKE Near the MUSIC Camp when we were kids
sure miss it :)

we hope you can make it love to meet you .

Okay, I'll do that, it would be a great way to learn what I have.

there will be a Master garden there that can help you also . just pot them now & they will look great in time for the swap. maybe you can find a friend or hubby to come with .

Birdie can you call me when you have a few mins ??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.