Mitriostigma Axillare "African Gardenia"

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

When I awoke this morning and looked out the bedroom window, I saw another 12 inches of snow. I was really feeling pretty discouraged because this winter has been brutal here in NJ.

Then I realized I was smelling a very soft, sweet odor and I looked around and saw the African Gardenia in full bloom. The small flowers have pale pink petals with the tiny yellow stamen in the center. They are in clusters and just so dainty and charming. I just had to share them with you all.
Enjoy. The first picture is one of the entire plant. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Second shot is a close up of the "African Gardenia" flowers.

Thumbnail by JBerger

oh, now i want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!

looked it up, does not look like it will grow well here. sigh.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You could use it on the patio or deck and bring it inside if necessary. Logee's love shipping to CA. LOL

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

How would you rate the intensity of the fragrance? Is it close to "other" gardenia's in strength?

It looks beautiful by the way.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh JB...you kill me!!! Such a pretty girl with those little blooms!!!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

No, I think it is softer and sweeter. It is not harsh and it has a fresh smell. It loves afternoon sun and frequent watering depending on the size of the plant. My smaller one does not require as much water as the big one does. When it is not blooming it is still a pretty plant.
I purchased it from Logees a few years ago and then another just last year. I do not see it in the 2011 catalog. I am wondering what happened that it is not there.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

That's it JB ..... tempt us with it, then tell us it isn't available! LOL

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

OOOOPS! I just can not believe it is not. I must look again. Sorry.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Lol 

Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

I have one of these plants but yours looks much better than mine. What window exporsure do you have yours in and how do you care for it?

Thanks

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

Here is a close-up of the flower.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Edale, don't you just love their fragrance? Please describe to us how you think it smells. I can not come up with anything to compare it with so the others know what I am trying to say.
I keep mine both in the South exposure during the winter. In the summer they go outside on the south deck and in the Fall they get the East exposure for a month or two. Morning sun does not do it for the entire winter. The one looks like it has been through a battle. It looks half dead and I can appreciate what you are saying about your plant. I have found that they love to be moist. One thing I did not do to the first one. The second is staying really nice, but gets water almost every other day. The medium it is in dries out quickly so I really must keep after it.
Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted. Have you ever tried to propagate them? I am thinking about it but just have not had time to investigate the best time to take cuttings.
I would think it should be soon. If anyone knows, please share. JB

Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

JB, I think it smells a bit like Jasmine but much lighter! Hard to describe. I think I may transplant mine and see if I can't perk it up a bit, and put it in a south window. Mine has been in a west window. Yours looks much better than mine!

http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1438-2

I just went to logees website and they still have it listed there. I want to order a couple of new plants this spring but too cold to ship to Iowa right now.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This last plant I purchased was nearly $40. These must be the new ones since they are so inexpensive. I may grab a few too. They will not ship them until it is time. I have a standing order there and they are not shipping yet, I am only two days shipping away and they are still not shipping.

Keep me posted. Transplant your baby into something not too much bigger than it is so the roots can grow stronger more than longer. That is always a good rule of the thumb according to Logees. I love that place.

Have a good weekend and keep me posted. Thanks for sharing. If you find out how we could propagate these cuties, please let me know. I am good at making cuttings grow. I just need to know which cuttings to take and when...............LOL. JB

Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

I wonder if a cutting taken in the spring would have the best chance? How do you do your cuttings? Do you use the rooting hormone? I used to do cuttings but haven't in quite a few years. What other plants do you have on order?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What a lovely plant! I think I'm going to have to add it to my wishlist.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have some of their Holiday Cactus, a philodendron called Pink Princess that I am starting to propagate and sell on DG Market Place. I am not sure what else I have on order. I ordered it way back in January and I forget what it is. I will let you know when I get it.

I have quite a few Gardenia Aimees started and listed on the Market Place. If you want to see my listing click on my name and then see if you can get to the listings. I have them listed under JBsBirdsandMore also.

I just must look up the African and see what the internet says about it. Be back later. JB

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

my guess, for propagation, would be in early july.I am going to try some then, and will let you know. Mike

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mike. I am going to do some cuttings too. Did you do any research on that plant and the best time to propagate or did you just take a guess? Mine is still blooming. JB

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorta, for sure you don't take cuttings while blooming. Also, mine suffered a sun scalding, because something was moved in the house. I guess they don't like fast changes. Mike

Sydney, Australia

I saw some established plants in the Sydney Royal Botanical Gardens today (it's early spring here). The African Gardenias were flowering very well, even though they were heavily shaded by a large tree - I've attached a picture with flower close-up.
The tallest was about 6' /1.8m and they had an upright habit. I couldn't smell much fragrance, but they were selling rooted cuttings in their nursery and the one in flower had a strong fragrance similar to fragapani or moonflower. So I suspect you need higher temperatures in the shade or direct sun on the flowers as well as moist soil to get the fragrance wafting.

Given their characteristics; long flowering, shade loving, fragrant and upright growing, they make an ideal indoor or balcony plant.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2015 9:32 PM

Thumbnail by smileclick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.