Can we talk IP addresses ?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

After installing my new router - which went pretty easily ... I decided to jot down all the IP addies for all 'items' that are connected within my Network.

a few days ago - I noticed my new WiFi printer was not 'doing it's thing' and i could no longer print from any laptop.
So i attempted to access it thru the 192.186 thing.... the IP did not work.

So i kept digging around and found the printer no longer had an IP.... long story longer...

I spent some time on the phone today with "Brother" to get it back up and running because the sheet i used to "set up' before... well, it wasn't working this time.

so -- we got the IP set and everything is working again... while i was still on the phone, i was mumbling and jotting down the IP addies, and the gal said.... "OH, they will change. This happens often."

Stepping back a bit to my setting up the printer again... what the gal had me do was.... go into Printer Preferences | Port .. then Add A Port.

She had me use the IP address of the printer as a new port.... so obviously, it could be found.

So, now my question....

If IP addresses get changed all the time, and with my printer set to 192.168.1.5 -- if it changes to something else, will my laptops be able to find it because they are set to look for 192.168.1.5

OR -- since it was set to that, is it now static??

I guess I just don't understand this ever changing IP thing.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!