Fertilizing?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Should I be fertilizing my in ground and irises in pots now....or soon?

P

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I assume you got this same snow last night. I wouldn't fertilize until you see definite new Spring growth which would probably be around the first of March for me here.

Lebanon, OR

I second that Neil. When you see new growth then fertilize

If you do not have snow on the ground you could treat now for slugs and snails if you have them there.

D

Taylorsville, KY

If you don't have snow on the ground right now, I'M JEALOUS!!!!

Sue

Bakersfield, CA

I always start fertilizing in mid-late February, but I'm already seeing growth here -- although we're back to our foggy days again, so maybe that will slow things down.

Lebanon, OR

it is 38 and foggy and bone chilling cold. Just came in from field about a month out to fertilize unless we warm up. The daffs are not up that much yet
d

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

sneaking in with the never ending question...what type/brand/strength of fertilizer do you all recommend? I grow TB's and I hate to admit that other than watering in MG or some similar type during the season--I've never fed them while coming out of dormancy. I do work in mushroom compost and composted manure and sometime some slow release granular food.

Bakersfield, CA

I was told by George Sutton to fertilize in the fall and then again in late winter/early spring with a low nitrogen fertilizer. I use a very cheap (Pennington - less than $3/box) 6-10-10 granular fertilizer that I purchase at WalMart and use anywhere from 1 Tbsp to up to 1 cup depending on the size of the clump and whether it is established, scratch it in and water. He said that after an iris has been in the ground for a couple of years it has leeched out all the nutrients, so you have to replace them each year in order to keep them blooming. And that is all I use each year because it really heats up here in Bakersfield and I worry about soft rot.

Also, if you want rebloomers to keep reblooming you need to keep fertilizing them throughout the year. But too much nitrogen encourages bacterial soft rot.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks:) That helps alot. I actually had a rebloomer this Christmas:lol:

We get the hot humid late springs/summers here so I check for rot too. Haven't had it happen but once thankfully but you never know.

I'll be looking for some of that at the wm I work at--we're setting our garden center for the spring/summer season this week--hope to be ready by Monday.

South Hamilton, MA

In our area we fertilize early spring & again after bloom. We can use 5-10-10 & our own garden compost. also like alfalfa pellets or meal. Keep nitrogen low or you will get leaf growth, not flowers.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

OK,thanks. That's what I needed to know.No snow on the ground,warm tempts for the next week or so(hi-50's,lo-60's) so I may see new growth on the potted ones in the GH soon.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

An elderly man I knew used a solution of epson salt on his iris. His was just beautiful! Does anyone use it and if so what is the recipe.
Thanks,
Teresa

Below is Drama Queen, cannot wait to see all the blooms again.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Vail, AZ

When it's warm. I fertilize. It's been near 70 for 3 weeks, so I have already hit them with some Miracle Grow, but if it's still under 60, I would wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.