Some Pics to cure the Winter Doldrums

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

On this, the day before my subscription expires, I went to check the 'DG Terms of Use' one last time to see if the admin had finally changed the wording on member photo rights to exclude their usage of them for profit via unintended avenues. Using them on sites other than DG, for instance.

I am happy to report that they did! So in "celebration" in include these photos, the first since 2009.

Rick

Dianthus deltoides 'Arctic Fire'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Machaeranthera (Aster) coloradoensis 'Goliath'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Campanula (Symphyandra) armena

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Phyteuma orbiculare

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Pulsatilla turczaninovii

This message was edited Jan 22, 2011 8:43 PM

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Sempervivum octopodes var. apetalum

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Dianthus callizonus
(complete with insect damage)
Thanks for the seed Rannveig!

Thumbnail by Leftwood

I confess that I had my first digital presentation today for our local NARGS Chapter. These were part of it, so they were at the forefront of thought today.

I hope you enjoy them,
Rick

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Lovely pics, Rick! Thank you for posting them. Just what I need to see when it's minus 23C outside (I think that's minus10F on a US thermometer) and my rock garden looks like the arctic tundra.

Congratulations on your first digital NARGS presentation!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

My first flowers of the year! Cyclamen coum, in the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the pics. I enjoyed them!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Love the pics. I'm going to have to get the Colorado aster.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I guess nothing happens in alpine and rock gardening in the summer?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The people who did most of the posting here of alpines (I am thinking of Todd, Rick and myself) have been spending their time over at the relatively-new North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS) website. Please join us if you wish!

http://nargs.org/smf/

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the invite. I will watch and learn. I have made a small attempt at a rock garden but I sure wouldn't want any of you guys to see it. :-p

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Ha. I'm already registered there. Same username as here. I forgot.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

killdawabbit, I assure you that everyone would love to see your rock garden and/or the individual plants in it!!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Umm....I don't think so. It's very crude and I haven't added much too it lately. But it is weedless! :-)
I mainly have some thymes, sedums, an unidentified prostrate clematis (come to think of it I need to get a pic of it on PFs. Or here.), a BlueStar juniper, conferta 'Silver Mist' and a Quercus margaretta.
I plan to start more rock gardens when I can. There are so many alpine plants I want but other things keep coming up.

Weedless??? You are the envy of us all!

All the plants you mention belong here, well, except the oak, LOL. I am especially pleased you grow Juniperus conferta. Few people do. I grew J. conferta 'Blue Pacific' in my old garden and liked it very much. IMO, I think it is superior to the other cultivars on the market now, but it's kind of hard to find. I also had Blue Star in my old garden. I'm so old that I was in my 20's when it first hit the market. It is still a most excellent choice. It likes a lot of sun and likes its foliage to dry quickly. One of the few conifers that actually prefer a rock mulch. Thymes work nicely between my crazy pavement, as do some of the creeping veronicas.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, it's only weedless because I am frequently pulling them. I guess the Oak is kind of like a segue from the forest to the arid land below. Anyway, it's supposed to be a smaller version of Q. stellata which is no fast grower compared to most oaks anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.