Need suggestion for small hardy ornamental trees

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

In order to comply with flight safety rules the hospital where I work needs to cut down four full size deciduous trees on a boulevard that is near the heli-pad.
The head of maintenance/groundskeeping asked me to suggest something to replace them that wouldn't require a lot of upkeep. I'm thinking something bred to remain less than 15 feet tall (more or less), with some decorative features. Something that doesn't drop a lot of fruit or require a lot of pruning would be nice. We are located in zone5.
I know Eric Draper of OSU Extension has developed some really good crabapple trees that are not as prone to apple scab and other diseases that used to ruin the look of those older cultivars by mid-summer.
I am interested in hearing about your experiences with any small ornamental trees to meet these requirements. Thanks for any suggestions,MW

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Take a look at PlantFiles under crabapples. Your town is northern OH, I think, and the late Father John Fiala produced an incredible array of wonderful diminutive crabapples that are absolutely disease free and have the full range of flower colors and fruit colors - not to mention varying habits from upright through round, pendulous, and weeping.

You couldn't miss (with one of these) if you tried...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Or move the helipad ;-)

Resin

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Try these species. Hardy to zone 4 and they stay small. http://www.songsparrow.com/2011/plantlist.cfm?type=WOODY,&startrow=1&pageType=plantlist&subtype=junior,

Danville, IN

The newer crabapples can't be beat for multi-season attractiveness, but the ornamental flowering cherries are a close second. 'Kwanzan' (Prunus serrulata 'Kwanzan)') and the smaller cultivars of Yoshino Cherry are excellent, with a longer flowering display than crabapples and attractive form and bark. Also consider the burgundy-leafed cultivars of redbud.

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the good ideas - I will present them to the groundskeeper. I hate to see trees cut down-but at least they are willing to look at replacements!!! MW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.