Another first timer

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I notice there is not a lot of traffic on this forum...we need to remedy that!

My daughter (who's 4) wants to do a fairy garden so I'll be doing one this spring over near my shade garden.

Here's what I bought so far....

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bought this on Ebay.
First door came broken so I got a replacement with some extras thrown in

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Windows

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is going to become VERY addictive

Bolivar, OH

Cute! And you are right, it will become addictive! I did my first one last spring and was quickly hooked!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Question?????

When using miniature furniture for the gardens do you spray it with first(with Krylon or another) so it will last outside for awhile?

Bolivar, OH

The furniture I bought for my gardens was all some kind of metal. I did nothing to protect it and it has developed a rusty patina (which I am enjoying) I have one pot that I left outside for the winter and I did remove the accessories from that. Maybe someone with more experience at this would be more helpful.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

flowAjen,
You have some beautiful pieces to start with!!! I agree the miniature gardens are addictive, but they don't take up much space, lol. Well, unless you decide to build a mini-community. They're a lot of fun and bring out the child in all of us too, I think. It will be a great project to share with your little one!

Have fun!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just ordered some more plants, I'm thinking I have to do a fairy village...LOL
HOSTA Little Jay
HOSTA Frosted Mouse Ears
ASTILBE crispa Lilliput
THYMUS minus Elfin
IRIS cristata Powder Blue Giant
PHLOX stolonifera Home Fires

South, TX

I love your new things! The fairy's look a bit like this BIG one I have. She is LARGE. I LOVE her so very much. I have a batt. candle that is on a timer in my bedroom and her little face lights up with it.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Too cute!

South, TX

How fun for you to do this activity with your four year old!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and she's so excited about it too...makes it easy to convince hubby that I'm buying more plants..."oh honey but it's for her fairy garden"

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

flowAjen,
I have a couple of the plants on your order list, too. I know you'll love them, they're so pretty!

What a little cutie! No way hubby could deny her anything (BTW, I used to be able to squat down like that, and wish I still could, lol)!

Sallysblooms,
You have the prettiest miniature arrangements!

South, TX

Thank you Sundownr.

Flow, that little girl of yours looks ike a little fairy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I made this fence for the garden with clothes pins and floral wire

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South, TX

How nice, great job with the fence.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi flowAjen, Your grandbaby looks like she inherited your love for plants and flowers! What a wonderful thing to pass on. Is the fairy garden going to be planted in the ground or container? I highly recommend Janit's twogreenthumbs.com. She has specialized in mini gardening for over 10 years and offers a variety of miniature and dwarf plants at good prices. Also has darling accessories for the mini and fairy gardens. I have always been pleased with my orders from her. Her photo gallery gave me some wonderful ideas for my little fairy gardens.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Joyce...it's my daughter not "grand"...don't want to rush things!!!! LOL
Oh yeah that site is in my favs, love their stuff, haven't ordered anything yet but it's def on my list. Have to go kinda slow hubby is gonna kill me with all the stuff I'm buying

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sorry forgot to answer the question.
I'm going to start the first fairy garden in the ground in the shade.
Then maybe a container one for the sun and then maybe a ground sun one and will end up probably having a whole village in the shade area, since I have a feeling it will be impossible to keep our dog from trampling one in the backyard

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

flowAjen, Sorry about the "g" and daughter mixup. You see where my mind is! I have never made one in the ground (live in apartment) and will be anxious to see the pics as you progress. Mini hostas would be good plants to consider, too, as they love shade and some only grow 8" x 12". I received an order from twogreenthumbs this week and the box was crushed on one end in transit, but thank goodness Janit packs orders so well nothing was damaged. I got 2 dwarf white cedar trees, some mini daisy plants and a beautiful red arbor. Already have red table and 2 chairs. These were planted with a Chinese Elm in a dark blue pot with white pebble walk and patio. I'll upload a pic soon. I can relate to the spending money tho. I actually have a catagory in my monthly budget for plants! lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Don't worry about the mix up...

Here's the plants so far....all dwarf or super short/ground cover

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

What a beautiful selection! Your little garden is going to be so beautiful! Oh yeah, have you purchased any faries yet. If not check out theturtletrail.com. They have a great selection of Cicely Mary Barker faries. I have ordered from them several times so I can recommend them too.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very cute fairy selection at the turtle trail

Yes, I started getting some fairies and I'll have to put them in separate areas because some are the really small ones and then I have larger ones with a flower shop( in the first post) and I made that fence in post #8392753 that's the sizing for the larger ones

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok all the plants are in....

I did finish off the stone border to the left

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here are the close ups...

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Broken shell path

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

house

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Biker fairy!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Other fairy garden on the other side of the house, these are the larger ones

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Other half

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Kalama, WA

Cute,cute, cute. This is soooooo addicting. We will have to start a TGA group. . . Tiny Gardens
Anonymous.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Ok where do I sign up for the TGA? flowAjen this is so cute. Where did you find the Fairy House with the red heart over the door? It's beautiful! You're pics are making me want to place another order to twogreenthumbs.com. I have a large babybuggy planter w/ coco fiber lining just sitting there with soil and dead plants that didn't overwinter!

This message was edited May 1, 2011 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by joycerogers0713
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I went to the Fairy Garden workshop yesterday and yesterday evening, after supper, we went to a thrift shop & I found my fairy house for $ 2.99, another package with flower pots and a fairy & a couple angels for $ 1.99, I dug out my frogs that I was collecting & displaying in my cube before I retired, and as soon as I get everything that is not waterproof sprayed with Krylon, I'll start taking pix & sharing. I bought two Jasmine G. Strangeling fairies on eBay and will pay for them & put them in the garden after I spray them, too. I have a snail that needs to be sprayed, and a bunch of stuff. I am so excited about these fairy gardens. Guess I am like a kid who never grew up, but who cares? As long as you're enjoying yourself.

This message was edited May 1, 2011 5:03 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So addicting!!!!

I got that house from Plow and Hearth
http://www.plowhearth.com/Decorative-Garden-Accents/Category_S2008_D3063_C2009_ALL.html
I'm waiting for the tavern to go on sale

These at Hearthsong are really cute!
http://www.hearthsong.com/Fairy-Village_p3265.html

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

flowAjen, thanks for the links. Plow and Hearth has some wonderful fairy garden items. I ordered a catalog and can't wait to purchase some things. The wishing well there is only $10. and I've looked at them on other sites that price them at $25! I already get Hearth Song but haven't ordered from them yet. Happy minigardening, Laney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.