Wal-Mart Promises to "reformulate" healthier foods

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I just read this article http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110120/ap_on_re_us/us_wal_mart_michelle_obama in which it was reported that Wal-Mart is going to make and sell healthier foods. The president and CEO of the US division says, admirably, that "no family should have to choose between food that is healthier for them and food they can afford."

The store's plan is to reduce sodium and added sugars by 25% in some of its products by 2015.

Michelle Obama praises the move as one that has the "potential to transform the marketplace and help Americans put healthier foods on the table every day."

I know the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step and a healthier option is a good start, but for some reason this move strikes me as a hollow PR campaign. After all, does a 25% reduction in sugar and sodium transform unhealthy food into healthy food? Surely it is healthier, but is it healthy? It wouldn't seem so.

And why is it going to take four years to do this? Does it really take that long for consumers and the market to adjust to reduced sodium and sugar levels?

Am I being too cynical here?

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!