your thoughts about "Sluggo"?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone,

I am preparing a new garden in an area where there is lots of moisture and lots of slugs and snails. I am not willing to do any kind of pest prevention that is at all toxic, but it says here that Sluggo is good and fine and okay.

here: http://www.ghorganics.com/Sluggo.html

I am skeptical, but educable (I like to believe.) So I am soliciting thoughts opinions and facts about Sluggo. I am aware of other slug deterrents such as copper barriers and coffee grounds, and have used beer traps. I am just curious about Sluggo.

So, what can you tell me? Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, it's OMRI listed so it's OK as far as organic is concerned, and since it uses iron phosphate as the active it's safe around pets (unlike metaldehyde, which is the active in many non-organic slug baits and is very toxic to pets).

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I use Sluggo-Plus - it kills slugs, snails, and pill bugs! I also use coffee grounds, but am not sure if they work.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've used Sluggo also and I do believe it works. I also have a crazy red Kelsie heeler (I think that is the variety of heeler she is--her name is Chance). A number of years ago she got into the Sluggo bag and ate some (she'll eat anything). At our best guess, we think she is 19 years old now and the vet tells us she is very healthy for her age. I suppose that is a good testament that Sluggo is OK around most pets.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you for all responses. I do wonder about its effect on micro life in the soil, etc...... but yeah, if the dog survived that is a good sign. :)

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I had used Sluggo for years, but in the last couple of years we had very wet summers and my perennial garden is backed by a 4 foot high stone wall. Something was devestating my delphs every year and when someone at Dave's Garden said that slugs can leave black marks on leaves I decided that was my problem, in spite of the Sluggo. I bought copper flashing at Home Depot and cut it to 3 inch wide strips. I made little collars for individual plants. I focussed on the delphs but also put them around others in my perennial garden that seemed susceptible, like campanula. I've now decided that it's best to put the copper around a tin can, so that accidental bumps and step-ons don't smash them. It works absolutely wonderfully! I fasten the collars together with paper clips.

LAS

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

Supposedly ducks are one of the best organic ways to get rid of slugs. Fortunately, we don't have a problem with slugs, but unfortunately, if we did, I can't let my ducks run around the garden because our dogs would kill them. :(

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Recently, I read that garter snakes eat slugs. Wish I had some!

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

I have used Sluggo-Plus in my organic dahlia garden for the last 3 years and it takes care of all slugs before they get to my plants. A side briefit it takes care of earwigs, another pest with dahlias. Nice part the critters go home and die not in view.
Try it ---it works and is safe. I see no adverse effect on my worms.

Steve

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you, I believe I will go ahead and use this. :)

Arcade, NY(Zone 5a)

sluggo is to expensive. I use Diatomaceous earth.

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Let's be clear: Sluggo is NOT OMRI, but Sluggo + is. Be sure to get the good stuff! I also get those copper washing scrubbers, pull 'em apart into a ring, and them sort of wrap them around plants. Slugs HATE copper.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

happygirl345, I am acronym impaired. May I please ask what OMRI means?

It's Organic Material Review Institute. ;-)

(I work for a public utility and my goodness the acronyms will choke you!)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, thank you very much☺

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

happygirl345, I thought Sluggo + differed from Sluggo by the addition of spinosad (so it will kill, among other things, earwigs, as well as snails and slugs). So how can the product with 2 ingredients be OMRI, and the product with only one of those two ingredients not be?

I have no idea. All I know is that Sluggo+ is OMRI (and costs more!)

Oops! My mistake... Sluggo is OMRI, and Sluggo + say's "safe for organic gardens"... go figure...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.