World Checklist of Maple Cultivar Names

Ripon, CA

Where can I find access to the World Checklist of Maple Cultivar Names published in 2008 by Peter Gregory and Hugh Angus ?
Thank You

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would suggest ordering the latest Vetress JM book that was released last year which includes the information you are looking for.

Ripon, CA

Thank You Wha
Yes, I have Vertrees latest book. In the index starting on page 387 there are approx. 2100 varieties listed. In the World Checklist there are supposed to be 3800 varieties. I know curiosity killed the cat, but I'd still like to see what else is out there.
Thank You Again

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

must have a big yard

Milford, DE

This is where you can find the 1st edition of the Maple Checklist.

Hugh Angus
The National Arboretum
Westonbirt
Tetbury, Glos. GL8 8QS, England
(e-mail : hugh.angus@forestry.gsi.gov.uk).

Good luck

Dave

Ripon, CA

Thank You Dave
I'll give that a try.
I really appreciate it.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Note first addition .. there would likely have to be new additions every couple years to keep up ;>) . And if this is Acer and not just Asian maples (which is likely from the name) yikes. I think a book like that would only have use for minutia addicts unless at least had descriptions. But then I am just going by the book name. I though, can guarantee ya only about 10% you would ever find except possible in collections....whether Jms or just plain Acers I would say WAY less than half ( maybe 30% ) of Verttrees Jms are available especially if you add the newer ones that are in the back of the 4th addition.

Milford, DE

They are working on the 2nd edition and I do not know when it comes out. The book only list CULTIVAR NAMES,-SPECIES,-ORIGIN/SYNONYM,-IMFORMATION SOURCE.

No discriptions.

Species that I see covered are;

palmatum
rubrum
japonicum
platanoides
sacchaum
nipponicum
shirasawanum
rufinerve
pictumm
truncatum
siebodianum
buergeranum
pseudoplatanus
negundo
davidii x rufinerve
campestre
saccharinum
crataegifolium
pensylvanicum
tataricu
and more.

Dave

This message was edited Jan 25, 2011 9:00 AM

Ripon, CA

Dave & Davidsan - Thank You for your help and input.
I heard from Hugh Angus this morning and I have the list on the way, I hope.
I also asked about the 2nd edition and will inform you as soon as I hear.
Now. Where can I find on the internet the listing of the patented varieties of
Japanese Maples ? I found one site (patentgenius) that listed 7 varieties
that are patented. Is that all there are ?
Crimson Prince, Beni Shi En, Fujinami Nishiki, Taylor, Ryusen, Garnet Tower
& Gwens Rose Delight (Shirazz)

PatentGenius - Class PLT/224 Maples
Thank You Again
Paul

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Another likely less useful "tool" .. There are allot of patented Jms and many that are listed as patented but are not . The problem is the patent in reality is only good for a few years till many unethical sellers graft them . For large growers it makes some sense since they are selling to many many nurseries and big box store .. but most won't buy a new tree anyway but with acers in general there are some exceptions when you develop a sugar maple with very unique color as an example, but as a whole I think with Jms it is a bit of a waist. But as stated if you are dealing on a large wholesale level with large high end nurseries it may be worth it even for the occasional Jm. Patents are VERY useful and absolutely necessary when dealing with very unique intellectual properties that cannot be easily reproduced .. With Jms how many cease and desist orders can you afford to have your lawyer send.. And as I stated the way most growers get around it is to change the name slightly . You also have the extra work and trust that you are getting paid the correct amount of royalties. Among the ones listed there are some very cool trees ... but only Shirazz is closely held and that is because it comes from New Zealand ... the others are either fairly available or not in demand.. although several are super cool. The Ryuzen/ Ryu sei is probably the most unique and deserving of patent . and yes that is a very small list likely many more... but as i said why bother. David(san)

This message was edited Jan 25, 2011 3:30 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.