Did you know?...

Spicer, MN

...that Strozzapreti, (Bianco) the tall bearded Iris that I've thought so beautiful, when transilated means, 'Priest Chocker'? Hmmm... Yes, the Winter is already getting too long. Does anyone else have a 'tidbit?
Sharon#3

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll try to think of some, but I doubt anyone will beat that, Sharon! LOL!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Choking Priests.......wonder if something is lost in the translation.......lol.

Guess hybridizers could come up with all kinds of obscene or derogatory names as long as they translated them into another language. Might be interesting.....

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Gee I have that one. I may never look at it the same again HAHA.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strozzapreti

Strozzapreti is a delicious Italian elongated form of cavatelli (pasta). Think of a rotund priest gorging himself on a homecooked meal of pasta.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I can see how they would choose the name thinking of a wonderful Italian tomato based sauce and Oh the Cheese all over the Pasta. Yumm.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's no fun. I'm going with Priest choker.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Read the article.... now I'm hungry for gnocchi........

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe the gnocchi is a Priest chocker.

This is another cute name for an iris:

Kraken Jokes

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/265880/

Bakersfield, CA

Isn't there a mythical beast called a Krakken (or Kraaken, or Kraken)? Love that name, Polly!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

What's a chocker? ;-)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think it's choker in Italian. Priest, of course, is universal. LOL, Sue.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

This brings up sometimes I wonder how in the world did they pick an iris name..... I'll read the name and have a definite mental picture of what it should look like and then I see the iris and they got it all wrong.....lol

South Hamilton, MA

Not all iris names describe the colors, although it's handy if they do.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh Polly, you didn't get it, LOL, it's choker, not chocker. I was just having fun with ya!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And I was having fun with you too. I got it. You're a silly. I used to say my granddaughter was a nut. That was a form of endearment, actually, but from a young age, she took offense, so now I say she's a silly.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I was joking about the names...... but look at Fire and Brimstone and tell me you think the name matches the iris......

Lebanon, OR

trust me there are tons of iris out there that you look at the iris and wonder. Well now I know and have a list of names and try to match the name to the iris but it does not always work that way.

It is hard to pick names and then you think you got one and you find out it is too close to one already registered and you can not use it.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm, that's not what I expected to see Neil. I expected a dark red.

I love the names on the little ones. Especially those from Mid America. Dancing Bunnies fits right in my yard.

South Hamilton, MA

I like your Raspberry Lady, picture & name.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome home, Dee. How was your trip?

Yes, I hope Raspberry Lady blooms for me this year. I'm not counting on any that I planted last year blooming this first year. It's been such a hard weather year for them to get established.

I like your new Black Bull, too. (I hope that's the name of it - I'm going from memory which isn't too wise , anymore....)

Lebanon, OR

Well if any of you are Avatar fans you will start seeing names from that...got 7 of them

D

Trip was super except for last night and it was not but that is OK too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.