What's wrong with this fern?

S Joao Estoril, Portugal(Zone 10b)

Bought this fern from a local garden centre about 2 months ago. Not quite sure what it is (Boston?). It has been in the open, a few weeks of rain and wind. It has lots of damaged fronds and even younger fronds show necrosis. The image on the bottom left shows the plant after I pruned about 20 damaged fronds. Changed to a bigger pot and applyed liquid fertilizer (half the reccomended dilution, distilled water; never used tap water).

Thanks for the help.
Pedro F Costa

Thumbnail by pfcosta
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks like Nephrolepis exaltata. Just general winter wear and tear, it'll look better when it puts out a new flush of fronds in the spring (not that it ever does look very good, always a decidedly tatty fern in my experience!).

Resin

Vieques, PR

Resin sounds authoritative, but it also looks a lot like our more common Boston Ferns. Agree with the assessment in any case --strong wind quite easily kinks some fronds, after which they linger, slowly deteriorating. Give it a little time in bright shade/partial sun, with regular moisture, a little food and it should fill out well.

Thank you Resin and JPlunket. That's reassuring. I feared for something serious after the rainfall (some fungal disease such as Taphrina wettsteiniana).

Thanks again.
Pedro

Vieques, PR

We put our 10 Bostons into the Pool Bubble greenhouse for the first time this year, in early November. In constant 100% humidity plus condensate drips, with temps typically in the low 40s (F) (34 degrees at the lowest, up to low 60s occasionally), and medium brightness (through opaque blue vinyl), the ferns have been pushing up new fronds (slowly) from the first week. Constantly wet, but never moved by wind, the ferns have slowly lost leaves from the fronds underneath, and kinked upper fronds have deteriorated, but they're in good shape overall.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.