"Puh-tay-toh, "Pah-tot-oh"... what am I looking for?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

A year or so ago, I saw a beautiful large leafed dark colored vine. The leaves were veiny, appeared to be thick, and were heart-shaped. The were about 8" across.

The woman told me it was a potato vine. I have owned the Ipoema (sp?) vine before and that is not the one that I am looking for.

Does anyone know what I am looking for? I google image searched, and couldn't find anything.

Also if anyone has any to trade, I have a few desert rose (Adenium) plants for trade. They're about 6" tall.

Thanks, Jennifer

Blackshear, GA

or maybe this...http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/74280-product.html

Blackshear, GA

I have this one...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

No, those aren't it. Maybe it has nothing to do with a potato and the woman was mistaken. Hmmm....

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Air potato! That's exactly it! So... how is this vine? Anyone have any advice to share?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I know in many areas of the south it can be a bit weedy/aggressive so I'd be careful with it. I'm not sure if there are some species that are problems and others are OK or if they're all bad--hopefully someone who lives closer to you will know.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Morning!

I live on the Texas coast and have Dioscorea bulbifera.....I love it....I know many people say that it is invasive.....I have not found it to be BUT I try to pick up all the little potatoes that I can then pull the baby ones out before they get too big.

jlp222 d-mail me and I can get you a few potatoes.

TexasBelle

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, sending you d-mail now.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

That vine is horrible here in Florida. Smothering tree's and climbing power poles. It's the worst thing I've ever seen. Kids like to throw the "potatoes" which then makes them spread even further. The "potatoes " don't freeze, just fall to the ground when the plant freezes. I wouldn't wish this stuff on my worst enemy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.